where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMechE Engineering Training Solutions
World leading provider of Non-Destructive Testing and Corrosion Prevention and Coatings training, examinations and Level 3 Consultancy Services

Technical Discussions
ismail sarpun
ismail sarpun
00:48 Sep-11-2001
Rayleigh waves

I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
how can establish that experiment setup.
thanks for your helps.

Ernst Niederleithinger
R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing, Germany, Joined Jun 2001, 7

Ernst Niederleithinger

R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing,
Germany,
Joined Jun 2001
01:00 Sep-11-2001
Re: Rayleigh waves
: I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
: Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
: how can establish that experiment setup.
: thanks for your helps.

Very interesting. Rayleigh waves are very popular in geophysical/geotechnical testing
(SASW method).
Grain size: R. Chammas (of French streets and bridges authority)
has done FE modelling on the influence of inclusions
on surface waves (rabih.chammas@lcps.fr).
Please keep me informed!

Bruce Maxfield
Engineering, electronics and instrumentation
Analogic Engineering, Inc., USA, Joined Jan 2000, 10

Bruce Maxfield

Engineering, electronics and instrumentation
Analogic Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:24 Sep-12-2001
Re: Rayleigh waves
: I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
: Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
: how can establish that experiment setup.
: thanks for your helps.

I have been working with Fallon Ultrasonics, Inc. on methods to deduce residual stresses from elastic wave velocity measurements. As part of this work, I have used Rayleigh wave ( relatively insensitive to stress) and critically refracted longitudinal wave (much more sensitive to stress) velocities (actually, travel times). These waves have been generated using focused ultrasonic beams like those generated by spherically and cylindrically focused ultrasonic transducers, by plastic wedges of an appropriate angle and by plane waves at an angle to the specimen surface in a water bath. Each of these methods has one or more advantages over the others. In all cases of practical alloys that we have studied, grain scattering is the material parameter that limits the highest frequency that can be used. We have not yet done much quantitative work with respect to determining grain size but it is very clear that the attenuation of these waves is strongly influenced by grain scattering at higher frequencies (as expected) and that this attenuation can be measured with relative ease. There are several corrections that must be made to the measured attenuation in order to obtain the grain scattering term which can be used to deduce the "mean" grain diameter in the region of material being sampled by the elastic wave. If you care to let me know the material and grain size range that is of interest to you, I can give you some general idea of the magnitude of effort that will be required.

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window