where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

Technical Discussions
ismail sarpun
ismail sarpun
00:48 Sep-11-2001
Rayleigh waves

I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
how can establish that experiment setup.
thanks for your helps.

Ernst Niederleithinger
R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing, Germany, Joined Jun 2001, 7

Ernst Niederleithinger

R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing,
Germany,
Joined Jun 2001
01:00 Sep-11-2001
Re: Rayleigh waves
: I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
: Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
: how can establish that experiment setup.
: thanks for your helps.

Very interesting. Rayleigh waves are very popular in geophysical/geotechnical testing
(SASW method).
Grain size: R. Chammas (of French streets and bridges authority)
has done FE modelling on the influence of inclusions
on surface waves (rabih.chammas@lcps.fr).
Please keep me informed!

Bruce Maxfield
Engineering, electronics and instrumentation
Analogic Engineering, Inc., USA, Joined Jan 2000, 10

Bruce Maxfield

Engineering, electronics and instrumentation
Analogic Engineering, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:24 Sep-12-2001
Re: Rayleigh waves
: I want to establish a system that can measure grain size by rayleigh waves.
: Is there anybody that help me, how can I measure grain size by this way and
: how can establish that experiment setup.
: thanks for your helps.

I have been working with Fallon Ultrasonics, Inc. on methods to deduce residual stresses from elastic wave velocity measurements. As part of this work, I have used Rayleigh wave ( relatively insensitive to stress) and critically refracted longitudinal wave (much more sensitive to stress) velocities (actually, travel times). These waves have been generated using focused ultrasonic beams like those generated by spherically and cylindrically focused ultrasonic transducers, by plastic wedges of an appropriate angle and by plane waves at an angle to the specimen surface in a water bath. Each of these methods has one or more advantages over the others. In all cases of practical alloys that we have studied, grain scattering is the material parameter that limits the highest frequency that can be used. We have not yet done much quantitative work with respect to determining grain size but it is very clear that the attenuation of these waves is strongly influenced by grain scattering at higher frequencies (as expected) and that this attenuation can be measured with relative ease. There are several corrections that must be made to the measured attenuation in order to obtain the grain scattering term which can be used to deduce the "mean" grain diameter in the region of material being sampled by the elastic wave. If you care to let me know the material and grain size range that is of interest to you, I can give you some general idea of the magnitude of effort that will be required.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window