where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

04:35 Sep-23-1998
Ahmed M.Eid
Ultrasonic

Dear prof.;

I'm assistant researcher in ultrasonic Department ( National Institute of Standards) in Cairo, (Egypt). I have M.Sc. in solid state physics from Cairo University. I prepare for my Ph.D. in field of composite materials properties using ultrasonic methods.
The available equipment is Flaw detector, normal & angle probes, Immersion tank, wave generator, Impedance analyzer and reference blocks.
The question is what kinds of composites I can study?

Thank you in advance

Sincerely,
A.M.Eid

05:40 Sep-24-1998

Yoseph Bar-Cohen

R & D,
Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL),
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic : Dear prof.;

: I'm assistant researcher in ultrasonic Department ( National Institute of Standards) in Cairo, (Egypt). I have M.Sc. in solid state physics from Cairo University. I prepare for my Ph.D. in field of composite materials properties using ultrasonic methods.
: The available equipment is Flaw detector, normal & angle probes, Immersion tank, wave generator, Impedance analyzer and reference blocks.
: The question is what kinds of composites I can study?

: Thank you in advance

: Sincerely,
: A.M.Eid
:

Dear Mr. Eid,

With the hardware that you have you should be able to study wave propagation through
composite materials such as graphite/epoxy. If you would like to make a scientific
contribution to the field of NDE, you may want to conduct a literature search to see
what was already done in this field. As you can imagine, there has been a lot of
research studies that were conducted with ultrasonic wave propagation in composite materials.
However, the complexity of the issue always leaving room for new ideas and problems to tackle.
Particularly, I believe that the issue of polar backscattering from composites is still not completely
understood. Also, it will be nice to find a wave to measure the density of composites with
access from a single side without involving the effect of the wave velocity. We need a reliable method
of measuring residual stresses.

Yosi

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|