where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT Competitiveness
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:45 Sep-28-1998

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
NDT Competitiveness

This post is not a technical post but I hope all feel it is relevant. I have noticed of late the increased reluctance of clients to pay for better techniques and therefore a better-finished inspection. I can understand the reluctance in recent months with the current economic situation however Australia for example has had little or no increase in NDT inspection rates for the past ten years!

This I believe to be as a result of a few factors, as mentioned already the client's desire for cheaper inspections and the abundant amount of NDT companies striving for competitiveness. I would like to ask this group is this a global trend? I work across several countries and from what I hear the western industrialized countries are most affected.

With the cost of personnel training, certifications, accreditation's all on the increase what can be done?

07:21 Sep-28-1998

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT Competitiveness : This post is not a technical post but I hope all feel it is relevant. I have noticed of late the increased reluctance of clients to pay for better techniques and therefore a better-finished inspection. I can understand the reluctance in recent months with the current economic situation however Australia for example has had little or no increase in NDT inspection rates for the past ten years!

: This I believe to be as a result of a few factors, as mentioned already the client's desire for cheaper inspections and the abundant amount of NDT companies striving for competitiveness. I would like to ask this group is this a global trend? I work across several countries and from what I hear the western industrialized countries are most affected.

: With the cost of personnel training, certifications, accreditation's all on the increase what can be done?

----------------------
Dear Michael,

I can appreciate your observation with reluctance of clients to pay for better techniques and technology while demanding higher quality services and more trained NDT technicians. Here in the United States over the last 14 years I have seen the salaries of technicians gradually drop while the requirement for training and certifications steadily rise. This is primarily driven by the clients who want to pay less for more. Due to the increasing "mom & pop" companies working from their garages with very little overhead this is also a driving factor. Over the last 10 years I have traveled around the world and have found that there are few countries who are not effected by this trend. However, I have found that Canada seems to be one country who is still willing to pay for technology and a quality service.

In order to curve this downward trend I think that we must better educate our clients on the cost of the training they are requiring. If they can get an appreciation for the training investment we as an employer are required to make, they may eventually be willing to compensate more.

03:44 Sep-29-1998

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDT Competitiveness : This post is not a technical post but I hope all feel it is relevant. I have noticed of late the increased reluctance of clients to pay for better techniques and therefore a better-finished inspection. I can understand the reluctance in recent months with the current economic situation however Australia for example has had little or no increase in NDT inspection rates for the past ten years!

: This I believe to be as a result of a few factors, as mentioned already the client's desire for cheaper inspections and the abundant amount of NDT companies striving for competitiveness. I would like to ask this group is this a global trend? I work across several countries and from what I hear the western industrialized countries are most affected.

: With the cost of personnel training, certifications, accreditation's all on the increase what can be done?
-----------------

I attended a public debate at the annual DGZfP conference in September
in Bamberg. It was mentioned that German's NDT service industry suffers
from the low prices of East European NDT services. The NDT work performed
in those countries seems not to be very good. Companies noticed already that
the quality control of the quality control eats much of the virtual savings.

Rolf Diederichs

07:16 Nov-17-1998
Gord Galvin

Their will always be client who utilize nde because they have a gun to their head ie it is mandated wrt these individuals a great deal of opposition willexist to anything other than the "best" price. However an enlightened and aware client will not balk at paying a fair price if they can see the savings downstream i mean nobody wants to be "penny wise and pound foolish"regards Gord Galvin

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|