where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Utrasonic sensors
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

02:28 Nov-01-2001
Divey Saini
Utrasonic sensors

Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?

06:45 Nov-01-2001

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
Re: Utrasonic sensors : Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?
We have made many cylindrical and spherical focus with almost zero aberation focused transducer for generating Rayliegh waves (20-30 MHz). We are using these transducers to obtain C-Scan images in terms of Rayleigh and Lcr Velocities for obtianing surface charectristics. If you are interested than we please contact us. There are simpler ways of obtianing Rayleigh wave or Lcr wave by using correct angle wedges.

Regards

Dr. Patel
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc.
3 Benemar Court
Hamilton, Ont
Canada L8W 2R1
Email: fallon@netcom.ca

06:18 Nov-02-2001

Kelly Phelps

Consultant, IT Manager/Marketing Manager
NDT Engineering Corporation,
USA,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: Utrasonic sensors : : Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?

It is important to know what type of coatings you speak of as well as how thick. It the coating is to "soft" it most likely will attenuate the sound to the point where there will be no detectable wave.

1) What type of coating.
2) How thick is the coating.
3) What is the condition of the coating in terms of hardness.

Kelly Phelps
NDT Engineering Corp.
Seattle, Wa.
253-872-3565
k.phelps@ndteng.com

00:32 Nov-02-2001

Ken Camplin

Re: Utrasonic sensors : : : Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?
: It is important to know what type of coatings you speak of as well as how thick. It the coating is to "soft" it most likely will attenuate the sound to the point where there will be no detectable wave.
: 1) What type of coating.
: 2) How thick is the coating.
: 3) What is the condition of the coating in terms of hardness.
: Kelly Phelps
: NDT Engineering Corp.
: Seattle, Wa.
: 253-872-3565
: k.phelps@ndteng.com

EMAT (Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducers) may offer a solution.
Since the ultrasonic wave is generated in the test piece, and not the
probe, EMATs successfully generate ultrasound beneath coatings, with no
attenuation effects from the coating. Certainly design of the EMAT will
take into consideration the coating thickness andmaterial. We have
fielded automated Rayleigh wave EMAT systems in excess of 10 MHz for
very good sensitivity. You can learn more about EMAT systems at
www.innerspec.com.

Ken Camplin
Innerspec® Technologies

Tel: 434.948.1302
krcamplin@innerspec.com

01:21 Nov-03-2001
Divey
Re: Utrasonic sensors I am interested in finding the defects in metals and the coatings on it. The metal I am planning to use could be aluminum and an acrylic powder coating on it. The coating after cure will be about 100 µm. The defects could be due to cracks or corrosion pinholes.
I would be obliged if you could tell me what approach should I use for my application. Ultrasonic looks as one of the viable solution. I plan to use phased array transducers and study the effect of beam through infected metal.
Thanking you

05:12 Nov-05-2001

Ken Camplin

Re: Utrasonic sensors : I am interested in finding the defects in metals and the coatings on it. The metal I am planning to use could be aluminum and an acrylic powder coating on it. The coating after cure will be about 100 µm. The defects could be due to cracks or corrosion pinholes.
: I would be obliged if you could tell me what approach should I use for my application. Ultrasonic looks as one of the viable solution. I plan to use phased array transducers and study the effect of beam through infected metal.
: Thanking you
Another option that would work well for your application is EMATs (Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducers). EMAT is an ultrasonic inspection, but since the ultrasound is generated in the conducting test material itself, there are no attenuation effects from the coating, as well no couplant to complicate the test results. Depending on the exact application, you could generate shear, surface, lamb, etc waves for the appropriate level of sensitivity and best orientation for detection. You can learn more about EMAT systems at www.innerspec.com.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|