where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

EXTENDE
EXTENDE, optimize your NDT inspections projects thanks to simulation.

Technical Discussions
Divey Saini
Divey Saini
02:28 Nov-01-2001
Utrasonic sensors

Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?

Dr. Patel
R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University, Canada, Joined May 2001, 20

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
06:45 Nov-01-2001
Re: Utrasonic sensors
: Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?
We have made many cylindrical and spherical focus with almost zero aberation focused transducer for generating Rayliegh waves (20-30 MHz). We are using these transducers to obtain C-Scan images in terms of Rayleigh and Lcr Velocities for obtianing surface charectristics. If you are interested than we please contact us. There are simpler ways of obtianing Rayleigh wave or Lcr wave by using correct angle wedges.

Regards

Dr. Patel
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc.
3 Benemar Court
Hamilton, Ont
Canada L8W 2R1
Email: fallon@netcom.ca

Kelly Phelps
Consultant, IT Manager/Marketing Manager
NDT Engineering Corporation, USA, Joined Oct 2001, 6

Kelly Phelps

Consultant, IT Manager/Marketing Manager
NDT Engineering Corporation,
USA,
Joined Oct 2001
06:18 Nov-02-2001
: : Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?

It is important to know what type of coatings you speak of as well as how thick. It the coating is to "soft" it most likely will attenuate the sound to the point where there will be no detectable wave.

1) What type of coating.
2) How thick is the coating.
3) What is the condition of the coating in terms of hardness.

Kelly Phelps
NDT Engineering Corp.
Seattle, Wa.
253-872-3565
k.phelps@ndteng.com

Ken Camplin
, Joined ,

Ken Camplin

00:32 Nov-02-2001
: : : Could someone suggest me which ultrasonic transducers would be suitable for me for inspection of metal panels with coatings to observe rayleigh waves propagation through it? Also where I could procure them?
: It is important to know what type of coatings you speak of as well as how thick. It the coating is to "soft" it most likely will attenuate the sound to the point where there will be no detectable wave.
: 1) What type of coating.
: 2) How thick is the coating.
: 3) What is the condition of the coating in terms of hardness.
: Kelly Phelps
: NDT Engineering Corp.
: Seattle, Wa.
: 253-872-3565
: k.phelps@ndteng.com

EMAT (Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducers) may offer a solution.
Since the ultrasonic wave is generated in the test piece, and not the
probe, EMATs successfully generate ultrasound beneath coatings, with no
attenuation effects from the coating. Certainly design of the EMAT will
take into consideration the coating thickness andmaterial. We have
fielded automated Rayleigh wave EMAT systems in excess of 10 MHz for
very good sensitivity. You can learn more about EMAT systems at
www.innerspec.com.

Ken Camplin
Innerspec® Technologies

Tel: 434.948.1302
krcamplin@innerspec.com

Divey
Divey
01:21 Nov-03-2001
I am interested in finding the defects in metals and the coatings on it. The metal I am planning to use could be aluminum and an acrylic powder coating on it. The coating after cure will be about 100 µm. The defects could be due to cracks or corrosion pinholes.
I would be obliged if you could tell me what approach should I use for my application. Ultrasonic looks as one of the viable solution. I plan to use phased array transducers and study the effect of beam through infected metal.
Thanking you

Ken Camplin
, Joined ,

Ken Camplin

05:12 Nov-05-2001
: I am interested in finding the defects in metals and the coatings on it. The metal I am planning to use could be aluminum and an acrylic powder coating on it. The coating after cure will be about 100 µm. The defects could be due to cracks or corrosion pinholes.
: I would be obliged if you could tell me what approach should I use for my application. Ultrasonic looks as one of the viable solution. I plan to use phased array transducers and study the effect of beam through infected metal.
: Thanking you
Another option that would work well for your application is EMATs (Electro Magnetic Acoustic Transducers). EMAT is an ultrasonic inspection, but since the ultrasound is generated in the conducting test material itself, there are no attenuation effects from the coating, as well no couplant to complicate the test results. Depending on the exact application, you could generate shear, surface, lamb, etc waves for the appropriate level of sensitivity and best orientation for detection. You can learn more about EMAT systems at www.innerspec.com.

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window