where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Dongbiao Wang
Dongbiao Wang
06:16 Nov-01-2001
Can UT be used for on-line monitoring of Polymer Processing

I want to study the PVC properties in extruder with on-barrel ultrasonic transducer. But there are some problems.
(1). We can not get the signal with Pulse-echo mode because of
the particle structure of PVC solid in solid conveying zone.
(2). Can we get the PVC melting such as melting pool thickness
or melting film thickness.
(3). In metering zone, can we get the PVC melting properties for example melt viscosity (in rheological meaning) by UT?
If someone gives me some idea about, I will appreciate his help very much.

Dr. Patel
R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University, Canada, Joined May 2001, 20

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
06:55 Nov-01-2001
Re: Can UT be used for on-line monitoring of Polymer Processing
: I want to study the PVC properties in extruder with on-barrel ultrasonic transducer. But there are some problems.
: (1). We can not get the signal with Pulse-echo mode because of
: the particle structure of PVC solid in solid conveying zone.
: (2). Can we get the PVC melting such as melting pool thickness
: or melting film thickness.
: (3). In metering zone, can we get the PVC melting properties for example melt viscosity (in rheological meaning) by UT?
: If someone gives me some idea about, I will appreciate his help very much.
:
.Dr. Balakrshinan who was at Mississippi State University has done some work many years ago and you can get some publications by him in Journals. You need to measure very accurately time or phase of the signal using shear wave transducers. Regarding measuring thickness you can use longitudinal waves and should work. We have used similar setup with polymer companies to measure the crosslink density and were successful. Thus, your question on UT the answer is it does work and you can use UT technique (which is indirect method)provided that you have caliberated the system.

Regards

Dr. Patel

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 604

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:48 Nov-09-2001
Re: Can UT be used for on-line monitoring of Polymer Processing
: I want to study the PVC properties in extruder with on-barrel ultrasonic transducer. But there are some problems.
: (1). We can not get the signal with Pulse-echo mode because of
: the particle structure of PVC solid in solid conveying zone.
: (2). Can we get the PVC melting such as melting pool thickness
: or melting film thickness.
: (3). In metering zone, can we get the PVC melting properties for example melt viscosity (in rheological meaning) by UT?
: If someone gives me some idea about, I will appreciate his help very much.
:
--------------------

Dongbiao Wang,

I noticed that you have been posted already your interest in
this topic as a reply to the former message:
http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/messages/406.htm
UT on polymers
Posted by: Al Rashid Wahab, E-mail: arwahab@pl.jaring.my,
on October 14, 1998 at 02:06:16:

It seems that you could not receive satisfied information,
so you may need contacts far from this forum.
You should contact the IKV Institute of Plastics Processing at Aachen University of Technology:
http://www.rwth-aachen.de/ikv/Ww/english.html
or in particular:
http://www.rwth-aachen.de:80/ikv/Ww/analys/ikv_anae.html
Analysis methods for materials testing
http://www.rwth-aachen.de:80/ikv/Ww/abt.fvk/pure.html
Ultrasonic measuring is used to analyse the foaming and crosslinking of PU systems
during processing. Mechanical, thermal and rheological measuring equipment is available for
assessing component properties and processing behaviour.

The IKV has done a lot of research and used transducers from Krautkramer.
You may contact Dr. Splitt head of the transducer
development, see his forum profile at http://www.ndt.net/wshop/profile/profile.php3?ID=187

Good luck!

Rolf Diederichs

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window