where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Gavin Biggs
Gavin Biggs
04:34 Nov-13-2001
Solder cavitation

Hi, I'm a design engineer working for a machining company in Buckinghamshire, England. I am researching various solder joining techniques, and for some experimental trials I need to create cavitations in molten solder that is preplaced between two induction heated flat aluminium plates. Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

My knowledge of ultrasonics is very limited, so any advise you may have would be of great help.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:27 Nov-13-2001
Re: Solder cavitation
: Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

I'm afraid not. Ultrasonic flaw detectors, thickness gages, and pulser/receivers designed for common nondestructive testing applications -- and the transducers used with them -- are low power devices which by design cause no discernable changes in the test piece through which the sound waves are passing. That's inherent in the definition of NDT. The power levels associated with these instruments are typically on the order of milliwatts per square centimeter with very brief pulse durations, power several orders of magnitude less than what you get from devices like ultrasonic homogenizers and ultrasonic cleaners. I'm afraid you're going to need the latter sort of approach to cause cavitation.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

Product Spotlight

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s