where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Gavin Biggs
Gavin Biggs
04:34 Nov-13-2001
Solder cavitation

Hi, I'm a design engineer working for a machining company in Buckinghamshire, England. I am researching various solder joining techniques, and for some experimental trials I need to create cavitations in molten solder that is preplaced between two induction heated flat aluminium plates. Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

My knowledge of ultrasonics is very limited, so any advise you may have would be of great help.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:27 Nov-13-2001
Re: Solder cavitation
: Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

I'm afraid not. Ultrasonic flaw detectors, thickness gages, and pulser/receivers designed for common nondestructive testing applications -- and the transducers used with them -- are low power devices which by design cause no discernable changes in the test piece through which the sound waves are passing. That's inherent in the definition of NDT. The power levels associated with these instruments are typically on the order of milliwatts per square centimeter with very brief pulse durations, power several orders of magnitude less than what you get from devices like ultrasonic homogenizers and ultrasonic cleaners. I'm afraid you're going to need the latter sort of approach to cause cavitation.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window