where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Solder cavitation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing

04:34 Nov-13-2001
Gavin Biggs
Solder cavitation

Hi, I'm a design engineer working for a machining company in Buckinghamshire, England. I am researching various solder joining techniques, and for some experimental trials I need to create cavitations in molten solder that is preplaced between two induction heated flat aluminium plates. Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

My knowledge of ultrasonics is very limited, so any advise you may have would be of great help.

05:27 Nov-13-2001

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Solder cavitation : Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

I'm afraid not. Ultrasonic flaw detectors, thickness gages, and pulser/receivers designed for common nondestructive testing applications -- and the transducers used with them -- are low power devices which by design cause no discernable changes in the test piece through which the sound waves are passing. That's inherent in the definition of NDT. The power levels associated with these instruments are typically on the order of milliwatts per square centimeter with very brief pulse durations, power several orders of magnitude less than what you get from devices like ultrasonic homogenizers and ultrasonic cleaners. I'm afraid you're going to need the latter sort of approach to cause cavitation.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|