where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.
Technical Discussions
Gavin Biggs
Gavin Biggs
04:34 Nov-13-2001
Solder cavitation

Hi, I'm a design engineer working for a machining company in Buckinghamshire, England. I am researching various solder joining techniques, and for some experimental trials I need to create cavitations in molten solder that is preplaced between two induction heated flat aluminium plates. Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

My knowledge of ultrasonics is very limited, so any advise you may have would be of great help.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:27 Nov-13-2001
Re: Solder cavitation
: Rather than building an expensive ultrasonic test rig, does anyone know if a portable ultrasonic inspection unit would be capable of causing cavitation of the solder at the joint interface by inducing ultrasonic waves into the upper plate?

I'm afraid not. Ultrasonic flaw detectors, thickness gages, and pulser/receivers designed for common nondestructive testing applications -- and the transducers used with them -- are low power devices which by design cause no discernable changes in the test piece through which the sound waves are passing. That's inherent in the definition of NDT. The power levels associated with these instruments are typically on the order of milliwatts per square centimeter with very brief pulse durations, power several orders of magnitude less than what you get from devices like ultrasonic homogenizers and ultrasonic cleaners. I'm afraid you're going to need the latter sort of approach to cause cavitation.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window