where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Weld defect recognition algorithm
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:59 Oct-01-1998
Andre Lamarre
Weld defect recognition algorithm

Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

06:08 Oct-01-1998

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Weld defect recognition algorithm : Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

----------------------
Dear Andre Lamarre

I have heard that the General Electric Nuclear Energy (GENE)group develop such an algorithm to used in conjunction with their GERIS automated ultrasonic system used in the Nuclear industry. The group that developed this was located in San Jose, California, USA but recently moved to Charolette, North Carolina, USA.

Regards,
Richard D. Roberts

06:55 Oct-01-1998
Hermann Wüestenberg
Re: Weld defect recognition algorithm
: Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

I would like to draw your attention to small booklet, which had been issued 1987 by the IIW Subcommission Vc (this is a group of UT experts within the International Institute of welding).The title is:
"The Evaluation of Ultrasonic Signals"
Guidance and recommendations on the evaluation of ultrasonic signals in manual weld examination and on defect acceptance/rejection criteria.
ISBN 0 85300206 1
Published on behalf of the International Institute of Welding by The Welding Institute, Abington Hall, Cambridge, UK

Even if this document refers mainly to a manual scanning, the basic problems with the classification and quantitative evaluation are quite well ascertained within this document. There are some more recent activities on the way for the Evaluation of the results from automatic scannings covering e.g. the problem of a judgement more strongly based on the images and patterns delivered by most of the automatic ultrasonic inspection approaches and equipments.
There is in Germany a working group for the automatic ultrasonic inspection which is a group of the german Society for NDT (DGZfP) chaired by Mr, F. Barbian from Pipetronics. Actually they are preparing a document which will be available during the next year. Similar activities are presumably going on in France (You should ask Mr. Chauveau from the Institut de Soudure, Metz).

H. Wuestenberg

09:59 Oct-06-1998

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
: Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

reply by Udo Schlengermann (uschlengermann@krautkramer.de)

In the new European Standard EN 1713 (Aug. 98)
you will find a flow chart to classify flaws in steel welds by manual testing:
Nondestructive examination of welds -
Ultrasonic examination -
Characterization of indications in welds.

Using echo amplitude, reflectivity with two different beam angles, pulse shape, and dynamic behaviour of the echo(oes).
Classyfying planar defects, lack of fusion, inclusions, cracks.

kind regards
Udo Schlengermann

07:05 Nov-28-1998
RAJESH RTRIVEDI
Re: Weld defect recognition algorithm :
: : Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion for varios
ndt methods
: I will greatful if can send me the WEB SITES regarding aircraft ndt technics.I have got some information in NDT NET .
: Using echo amplitude, reflectivity with two different beam angles, pulse shape, and dynamic behaviour of the echo(oes).
: Classyfying planar defects, lack of fusion, inclusions, cracks.

: kind regards
:RAJESH TRIVEDI.

03:04 Nov-30-1998
Shaun Lawson

01:27 May-01-1999
Ammar mohammed

08:21 May-19-1999
Ammar

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|