where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Andre Lamarre
Andre Lamarre
02:59 Oct-01-1998
Weld defect recognition algorithm

Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

Richard D. Roberts
Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 78

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:08 Oct-01-1998
Re: Weld defect recognition algorithm
: Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

----------------------
Dear Andre Lamarre

I have heard that the General Electric Nuclear Energy (GENE)group develop such an algorithm to used in conjunction with their GERIS automated ultrasonic system used in the Nuclear industry. The group that developed this was located in San Jose, California, USA but recently moved to Charolette, North Carolina, USA.

Regards,
Richard D. Roberts

Hermann Wüestenberg
Hermann Wüestenberg
06:55 Oct-01-1998

: Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion,... in dataes coming from a raster scan.

I would like to draw your attention to small booklet, which had been issued 1987 by the IIW Subcommission Vc (this is a group of UT experts within the International Institute of welding).The title is:
"The Evaluation of Ultrasonic Signals"
Guidance and recommendations on the evaluation of ultrasonic signals in manual weld examination and on defect acceptance/rejection criteria.
ISBN 0 85300206 1
Published on behalf of the International Institute of Welding by The Welding Institute, Abington Hall, Cambridge, UK

Even if this document refers mainly to a manual scanning, the basic problems with the classification and quantitative evaluation are quite well ascertained within this document. There are some more recent activities on the way for the Evaluation of the results from automatic scannings covering e.g. the problem of a judgement more strongly based on the images and patterns delivered by most of the automatic ultrasonic inspection approaches and equipments.
There is in Germany a working group for the automatic ultrasonic inspection which is a group of the german Society for NDT (DGZfP) chaired by Mr, F. Barbian from Pipetronics. Actually they are preparing a document which will be available during the next year. Similar activities are presumably going on in France (You should ask Mr. Chauveau from the Institut de Soudure, Metz).

H. Wuestenberg

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:59 Oct-06-1998

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

reply by Udo Schlengermann (uschlengermann@krautkramer.de)

In the new European Standard EN 1713 (Aug. 98)
you will find a flow chart to classify flaws in steel welds by manual testing:
Nondestructive examination of welds -
Ultrasonic examination -
Characterization of indications in welds.

Using echo amplitude, reflectivity with two different beam angles, pulse shape, and dynamic behaviour of the echo(oes).
Classyfying planar defects, lack of fusion, inclusions, cracks.

kind regards
Udo Schlengermann

RAJESH RTRIVEDI
RAJESH RTRIVEDI
07:05 Nov-28-1998
:
: : Does anybody have experience or reference for weld defect recognition algorithm. I would like to recognize a crack, a slag, a lack-of-fusion for varios
ndt methods
: I will greatful if can send me the WEB SITES regarding aircraft ndt technics.I have got some information in NDT NET .
: Using echo amplitude, reflectivity with two different beam angles, pulse shape, and dynamic behaviour of the echo(oes).
: Classyfying planar defects, lack of fusion, inclusions, cracks.

: kind regards
:RAJESH TRIVEDI.

Shaun Lawson
Shaun Lawson
03:04 Nov-30-1998

Ammar mohammed
Ammar mohammed
01:27 May-01-1999

Ammar
Ammar
08:21 May-19-1999

Product Spotlight

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window