where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thermography certification
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

04:35 Nov-22-2001
Chris
Thermography certification

I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)

08:50 Nov-23-2001
Ed Trotter
Re: Thermography certification : I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)
You can find what you are looking for in ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A 1992 or 1996 Editions. They started addressing Thermal/Infrared Testing (TIR) in 1992.They also include a recommended training course outline. It is available on CD-Rom from www.asnt.org

09:07 Nov-23-2001
Chris
Re: Thermography certification : : I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)
: .
: You can find what you are looking for in ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A 1992 or 1996 Editions. They started addressing Thermal/Infrared Testing (TIR) in 1992.They also include a recommended training course outline. It is available on CD-Rom from www.asnt.org
.Thanks Ed, are you sure ASNT has level 1 and 2 certification, because the person I contacted at ASNT told me they only had level 3 certification for thermography.

02:22 Nov-24-2001
Dave Davies
Re: Thermography certification : : : I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)
: : .
: : You can find what you are looking for in ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A 1992 or 1996 Editions. They started addressing Thermal/Infrared Testing (TIR) in 1992.They also include a recommended training course outline. It is available on CD-Rom from www.asnt.org
: .Thanks Ed, are you sure ASNT has level 1 and 2 certification, because the person I contacted at ASNT told me they only had level 3 certification for thermography.
I think that there is a misunderstanding here. ASNT list Thermography in the SNT-TC-1A document as Level I, II and III. This is, however, for company certification. I think that some form of independent certification is askedfor, and for this ASNT itself only offers Level III certification.
I would suggest going to the manufacturers of the equipment, if anyone knows who certifies personnel, they should.
Good Luck

01:04 Nov-28-2001
Mike Young
Re: Thermography certification : : I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)
: You can find what you are looking for in ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A 1992 or 1996 Editions. They started addressing Thermal/Infrared Testing (TIR) in 1992.They also include a recommended training course outline. It is available on CD-Rom from www.asnt.org
.Chris, call me at 989-636-4129 and I'll be happy to discuss options with you. There are a number of great training resources available here in the US for IR. I believe there's one in B.C.

02:04 Feb-02-2002
Mike Sharlon
Re: Thermography certification : : : : I'm looking for some kind of legal certification for level 1 or 2 thermographer. ASNT only has level 3 certification, and canadian CGSB doen't have anything for thermography. Does anybody know of any other country who might have a goverment approve certification in that field. (Example of non goverment approve certification AIRT)
: : : .
: : : You can find what you are looking for in ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A 1992 or 1996 Editions. They started addressing Thermal/Infrared Testing (TIR) in 1992.They also include a recommended training course outline. It is available on CD-Rom from www.asnt.org
: : .Thanks Ed, are you sure ASNT has level 1 and 2 certification, because the person I contacted at ASNT told me they only had level 3 certification for thermography.
: I think that there is a misunderstanding here. ASNT list Thermography in the SNT-TC-1A document as Level I, II and III. This is, however, for company certification. I think that some form of independent certification is asked for, and for this ASNT itself only offers Level III certification.
: I would suggest going to the manufacturers of the equipment, if anyone knows who certifies personnel, they should.
: Good Luck
.Look up www.irinfo.org. This site lists most of the top training institutions avaialable for what constitutes certification in this skill. To date, actual certification in Level I and II is provided by independent companies like Infraspection Institute or manufacturer like Flir's academy of Infrared. Most of these sources will site use of ASNT's "recommended Practices" mentioned previously. You sound like you are looking for credentials recognized in industry and court (i.e. substantiating expert witness classification). These organizations provide what you may be looking for because Thermography has not been directly addressed as a practicing (Levels I & II) NDT science by any one standards organization. There is much more on this subject than can be gone into in this forum. Plus it is ,as might be expected, a somewhat controversial subject, at least for those practicing it.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|