where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.
Technical Discussions
Trevor Easton
Engineering
Dofasco Inc, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 13

Trevor Easton

Engineering
Dofasco Inc,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
02:26 Nov-29-2001
UT for laminates

I am looking for a device to detect delamination in a fibre product 0.120" thick
48" wide. Product is moving at 60ft/min on a belt conveyor. Any companies or suggestions?

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 304

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:58 Nov-30-2001
Re: UT for laminates
: I am looking for a device to detect delamination in a fibre product 0.120" thick
: 48" wide. Product is moving at 60ft/min on a belt conveyor. Any companies or suggestions?

Trevor,
One possibility that comes to mind is Video Thermography, where a heat pulse (or continuous source) is put on the product, and a thermographic camera evaluates the resultant heat distribution, either on the same side as heat source or opposite side.
Don't know who in your area does this, but web search should help you.

Regards,

Godfrey

Dave Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

Dave Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
03:21 Nov-30-2001
I would be concerned that the thermal response of the material may not be fast enough, if it is moving on a line at 60ft/second. If that is indeed the case, noncontact ultrasonic methods would seem to be appropriate. Since you are in Canada so I would encourage you to contact my colleagues in Montreal:

Jean-Pierre Monchalin
Group Leader
Process Modelling and Instrumentation, Optical Techniques
Industrial Materials Institute (IMI)
National Research Council Canada (NRC)
75 de Mortagne Blvd.
Boucherville, Quebec, J4B 6Y4
Telephone: (450) 641-5116 Fax: (450) 641-5106
Email: jean-pierre.monchalin@nrc.ca

They are very good at what they do.

Regards, Dave.

: : I am looking for a device to detect delamination in a fibre product 0.120" thick
: : 48" wide. Product is moving at 60ft/min on a belt conveyor. Any companies or suggestions?
: .
: Trevor,
: One possibility that comes to mind is Video Thermography,

(snipped)

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 524

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
03:33 Nov-30-2001
: I am looking for a device to detect delamination in a fibre product 0.120" thick
: 48" wide. Product is moving at 60ft/min on a belt conveyor. Any companies or suggestions?

The speed will limit how complete a test you can manage, but large area delaminations should be detectable with air-coupled UT, using a plate-wave approach. (too fast to C-scan)

I suggest you contact QMI (www.qmi-inc.com) or Airstar (www.airstar1.com)

Rgds
Joe

Randy Plis
Sales, Consultant
AMDATA NDE Technology LLC, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 23

Randy Plis

Sales, Consultant
AMDATA NDE Technology LLC,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
05:39 Dec-03-2001
: : I am looking for a device to detect delamination in a fibre product 0.120" thick
: : 48" wide. Product is moving at 60ft/min on a belt conveyor. Any companies or suggestions?

: Have we established how small of a flaw he is looking for? My recollection is that air scans tend to be used for fairly large diameter flaws.

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window