where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:48 Dec-07-2001
David Miller
Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement

I have a need to non-destructively measure the wall thickness of carbon fiber composite tubing in the range of the following:
OD: 25-50mm
WALL THICKNESS: 5-10mm
I need to make many accurate measurements around the circumference of this tubing to verify concentricity of the OD and ID. Can ultrasonic measurement be used for this purpose? Is there another method which would work better...capacitance transducers? Any help would be appreciated.

07:07 Dec-07-2001

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement : I have a need to non-destructively measure the wall thickness of carbon fiber composite tubing in the range of the following:
: OD: 25-50mm
: WALL THICKNESS: 5-10mm
: I need to make many accurate measurements around the circumference of this tubing to verify concentricity of the OD and ID. Can ultrasonic measurement be used for this purpose? Is there another method which would work better...capacitance transducers? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it certainly should be possible to measure wall thickness ultrasonically, in either a contact or immersion mode. We've done this sort of thing for a number of customers. An immersion test using a v-notch fixture for part stabilization may be the quickest way to check concentricity... you can spin the part while recording maximum and minimum thickness. I would try a 5 MHz broadband transducer for the thickness range indicated.

If you're interested in pursuing this, my company is among those that can provide you with equipment.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.
www.panametrics.com

03:00 Dec-08-2001

Dr. Patel

R & D, Consultant to Universities/Industries
Fallon Ultrasonics/McMaster University,
Canada,
Joined May 2001
Re: Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement : I have a need to non-destructively measure the wall thickness of carbon fiber composite tubing in the range of the following:
: I need to make many accurate measurements around the circumference of this tubing to verify concentricity of the OD and ID. Can ultrasonic measurement be used for this purpose? Is there another method which would work better...capacitance transducers? Any help would be appreciated.

We have many dimensional and flaw detection for tubing and with dimensional you can get 12 out-put which, are connected to latching circuits for automation. The accuracy of 1 micron can be achieved with the system. The 12 out-puts are OD (min and max), ID (min and max), true wall thickness (min and max) and ovality and eccencitry, than average OD, ID (min and max). The system automatically comensates for temperature chane and requires imersion type. Contact type based on same principle is also available. Values are displayed on computer chart screen conitnously. The speed upto 4000 RPM is achieved with the system. It covers more than 100% over entire surfaces. If you are interested than please contact us.

Regards
Dr. Patel
Fallon Ultrasonics Inc.

05:58 Dec-10-2001

Bill Waldron

Sales
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement Dave,
This application is common for metal tubing inspection and there are a variety of systems to do the task.
To choose the best we need to know a little more about the application in terms of speed of test, straightness of tube etc. Samples for evaluation would be the best option.
Bill Waldron
Krautkramer, Lewistown, PA

: I have a need to non-destructively measure the wall thickness of carbon fiber composite tubing in the range of the following:

06:35 Dec-12-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement If the use of water is not a problem UT Immersion Systems would be applicable. Another approach might be to use an Internal Rotating UT System depending upon whether you want to measure in a manufacturing environment or post installation.

Try looking at NDT Automations Tubescan System. This is an internal 100% coverage rotating systm with dual gates which would allow you to profile internal and external in one go.

07:42 Dec-12-2001

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Carbon Composite Tubing Wall Thickness Measurement I'm sure this will work adequately, but you do need to be realistic in terms of what would expect from a pulse-echo UT system on Carbon. There are two main issues.

1. Most composite materials are relatively attenuative, so the frequency you can use will be limited (typically 5MHz or so maximum) this limits the resolution of the thickness measurement compared to what is achievable with steel.

The ultrasonic velocity in CC materials will tend to be inconsistent (highly dependant on composition and manufacturing parameters) and may be quite temperature dependant. - variations of a few % are typical

so do some work to ensure that you can get the accuracy you require.

: If the use of water is not a problem UT Immersion Systems would be applicable. Another approach might be to use an Internal Rotating UT System depending upon whether you want to measure in a manufacturing environment or post installation.
: Try looking at NDT Automations Tubescan System. This is an internal 100% coverage rotating systm with dual gates which would allow you to profile internal and external in one go.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|