where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.
Technical Discussions
Nihat Kurkcu
Engineering
Turkey, Joined Jul 2001, 4

Nihat Kurkcu

Engineering
Turkey,
Joined Jul 2001
06:59 Dec-11-2001
NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings

I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
- Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
- Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...

Thanks,
Nihat
General Electric Marmara Research Center

Jonathan Buttram
Engineering
USA, Joined Nov 1999, 1

Jonathan Buttram

Engineering
USA,
Joined Nov 1999
07:14 Dec-11-2001
Re: NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings
:We have applied EMAT technology toward the a couple of thermal spray applications. The first is related to bond coating integrity and thickness measurement, and the second is the development of a real-time monitoring sensor used in the application of the medium. All of these applications utilize ultrasonic methods without the need for couplant. Please feel free to contact me at Innerspec Technologies if more information is required. Thanks,
Jonathan Buttram (jdbuttram@innerspec.com)

: I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
: - Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
: - Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...
: Thanks,
: Nihat
: General Electric Marmara Research Center

Xavier
Xavier
02:19 Dec-12-2001
Re: NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings
I worked on a 2 years project related to the detection of delamination in thermal spray coatings metals (ceramic on top of a superalloy base metal). I investigated the use of ultrasonic testing (mainly using Lamb waves) but also infrared thermography.

In some cases we were able to obtain interesting results, but these depended greatly on the surface finish of the ceramic coating.

Also, for most application it is not very suitable to use ultrasonic testing since a couplant (either water or gel) can actually infiltrate the ceramic and may remain within the material. So we were trying to develop a non-contact and couplant-free inspection technique.

Unfortunately, we (the only 2 researchers involved in this project) have left the research institute where the research was carried out and we haven't been replaced. So I don't know if the project is still running.

Neverthless, it is very challenging but interesting task.

Good luck !

:
: I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
: - Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
: - Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...
: Thanks,
: Nihat
: General Electric Marmara Research Center

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window