where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:59 Dec-11-2001

Nihat Kurkcu

Engineering
Turkey,
Joined Jul 2001
NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings

I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
- Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
- Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...

Thanks,
Nihat
General Electric Marmara Research Center

07:14 Dec-11-2001

Jonathan Buttram

Engineering
USA,
Joined Nov 1999
Re: NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings :We have applied EMAT technology toward the a couple of thermal spray applications. The first is related to bond coating integrity and thickness measurement, and the second is the development of a real-time monitoring sensor used in the application of the medium. All of these applications utilize ultrasonic methods without the need for couplant. Please feel free to contact me at Innerspec Technologies if more information is required. Thanks,
Jonathan Buttram (jdbuttram@innerspec.com)

: I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
: - Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
: - Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...
: Thanks,
: Nihat
: General Electric Marmara Research Center

02:19 Dec-12-2001
Xavier
Re: NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings I worked on a 2 years project related to the detection of delamination in thermal spray coatings metals (ceramic on top of a superalloy base metal). I investigated the use of ultrasonic testing (mainly using Lamb waves) but also infrared thermography.

In some cases we were able to obtain interesting results, but these depended greatly on the surface finish of the ceramic coating.

Also, for most application it is not very suitable to use ultrasonic testing since a couplant (either water or gel) can actually infiltrate the ceramic and may remain within the material. So we were trying to develop a non-contact and couplant-free inspection technique.

Unfortunately, we (the only 2 researchers involved in this project) have left the research institute where the research was carried out and we haven't been replaced. So I don't know if the project is still running.

Neverthless, it is very challenging but interesting task.

Good luck !

:
: I would like to know if anybody has experience in NDE of Thermal Spray Coatings. I am looking for mainly:
: - Adhesive Bond Strenght Determination by Ultrasonics and/or other related NDE methods
: - Integrity of Thermal Spray Coatings: Determination of oxides, porosity, delaminations...
: Thanks,
: Nihat
: General Electric Marmara Research Center

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|