where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Jay Langham
Engineering
Du Pont Nylon, USA, Joined Dec 2001, 1

Jay Langham

Engineering
Du Pont Nylon,
USA,
Joined Dec 2001
07:33 Dec-19-2001
UT of underground pipelines

Hello.

I am looking for information concerning the feasibilty of ultrasonic testing of underground pipelines. Any expertise/knowledge of a company that is capable of NDE for concrete pipe and/or ductile iron pipe would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Jay

Charles W.Randolph II
Charles W.Randolph II
01:51 Dec-21-2001
Re: UT of underground pipelines
Jay:

We use Low Frequency Electromagnetic Technique(LFET}and Remote Field Electromagnetic Technique(RFET)to test underground pipes. We build propes to suite the job.

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 278

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:02 Jan-10-2002
Re: UT of underground pipelines
UT of concrete especially if you want to scan and collect large amounts of data may not be easy. It will depend what you are trying to find, resolution etc. There is an East German Company which has developed a crawler usually for cameras but which now has a UT head which I believe is being used in concrete sewer and cooling water piping. I believe they have recently done some work in Mexico.

Ductile Iron should be easier and there are Tethered UT pigs (PSL AGR) type which can provide large amounts of UT data on high resolution. Tethers restrict distance to about 5 miles but the advantage is you can alter UT parameters while the tool is in the pipe.

If you need specific information please contact me direct.

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window