where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of underground pipelines
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMASONIC SAS
IMASONIC offers custom solutions for single to serial productions of ultrasonic transducers for NDT including phased array.

07:33 Dec-19-2001

Jay Langham

Engineering
Du Pont Nylon,
USA,
Joined Dec 2001
UT of underground pipelines

Hello.

I am looking for information concerning the feasibilty of ultrasonic testing of underground pipelines. Any expertise/knowledge of a company that is capable of NDE for concrete pipe and/or ductile iron pipe would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Jay

01:51 Dec-21-2001
Charles W.Randolph II
Re: UT of underground pipelines Jay:

We use Low Frequency Electromagnetic Technique(LFET}and Remote Field Electromagnetic Technique(RFET)to test underground pipes. We build propes to suite the job.

01:02 Jan-10-2002

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: UT of underground pipelines UT of concrete especially if you want to scan and collect large amounts of data may not be easy. It will depend what you are trying to find, resolution etc. There is an East German Company which has developed a crawler usually for cameras but which now has a UT head which I believe is being used in concrete sewer and cooling water piping. I believe they have recently done some work in Mexico.

Ductile Iron should be easier and there are Tethered UT pigs (PSL AGR) type which can provide large amounts of UT data on high resolution. Tethers restrict distance to about 5 miles but the advantage is you can alter UT parameters while the tool is in the pipe.

If you need specific information please contact me direct.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|