where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.

Technical Discussions
Suresh Palanisamy
Student, - Ph D Engineering
Swinburne University, Australia, Joined Jul 2000, 5

Suresh Palanisamy

Student, - Ph D Engineering
Swinburne University,
Australia,
Joined Jul 2000
00:05 Jan-15-2002
Calibration Procedures for Immersion Ultrasound Testing

Hi all,

I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.

My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
If so what are they.

Thank you,

Suresh Palanisamy

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 174

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
04:48 Jan-15-2002
Re: Calibration Procedures for Immersion Ultrasound Testing
reply by Udo Schlengermann
:

If you look for general standards on ultrasonic immersion technique, please take a look at the following ASTM specifications:

ASTM E124 (2001)
Standard practice for immersed ultrasonic examination by the reflection-method using pulsed longitudinal waves.

ASTM E1001 (1999)
Standard practice for detection and evaluation of discontinuities by the immersed pulsed-echo ultrasonic method using longitudinal waves.

Reference
More details how to use the ultrasonic immersion technique for special test objects you can only get from handbooks or by special training courses.
Reference objects for calibration using immersion technique have to be made close to the original material, size and shape to be examined, containing artificial reflectors if necessary.
Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
Agfa NDT GmbH

: Hi all,
: I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
: I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
: which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.
: My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
: If so what are they.
: Thank you,
: Suresh Palanisamy

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 785

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
08:47 Jan-20-2002
In immersion testing, the calibration standards have to be of the same size, shape, material and metalurgical condition, so that the time of travel in the calibration block and the actual test object remains same. As for the transit time for the signal in water, temperature compensation is needed and surface echo triggered gates are best so that the echoes from the test object follow the changes in the surface contour properly.

Swamy

: reply by Udo Schlengermann
: :
: If you look for general standards on ultrasonic immersion technique, please take a look at the following ASTM specifications:
: ASTM E124 (2001)
: Standard practice for immersed ultrasonic examination by the reflection-method using pulsed longitudinal waves.
: ASTM E1001 (1999)
: Standard practice for detection and evaluation of discontinuities by the immersed pulsed-echo ultrasonic method using longitudinal waves.
: Reference
: More details how to use the ultrasonic immersion technique for special test objects you can only get from handbooks or by special training courses.
: Reference objects for calibration using immersion technique have to be made close to the original material, size and shape to be examined, containing artificial reflectors if necessary.
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: Agfa NDT GmbH
: : Hi all,
: .
: : I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
: : I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
: : which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.
: : My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
: : If so what are they.
: : Thank you,
: : Suresh Palanisamy

amin
amin
11:47 Oct-24-2014
In Reply to Suresh Palanisamy at 00:05 Jan-15-2002 (Opening).

hi all,
i am final year student and working immersion testing of aluminium and steel.
my question what the standard dimension for plate and aluminium used in immersion testing and if yes,please attach with article and other information.

tq,
aminjunior

Hamid
Engineering, Researcher
Ecole de technologie superieure, Canada, Joined Sep 2012, 59

Hamid

Engineering, Researcher
Ecole de technologie superieure,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2012
23:48 Nov-07-2014
In Reply to Udo Schlengermann at 04:48 Jan-15-2002 .

Download Virus Scan recommended!

Hi,

I am trying to make reference block to measure the acoustic properties of a special class of steel. Actually, I am trying to use immersion testing method since I need the couplant layer to remain constant during the test. There will be some SDHs in the block. I am trying to avoid the interference between adjacent SDH reflection echos due to beam divergence; I would please like to know which of the images (in the attached document) is correct to be used for the design of the block.

Thanks

Product Spotlight

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

IK4-IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque technology centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system
for the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s