where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.
Technical Discussions
kauhmani
kauhmani
00:12 Jan-19-2002
Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water

Hello
I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
Best regards

elgazery
elgazery
01:18 Jan-21-2002
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water
Please
tell us how you measured and calculated the attenuation

: Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards

Mike Leger
Mike Leger
03:35 Jan-25-2002
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water
: Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards
Velocity of water versus temperature is indeed positive from 0 deg C to 74 deg C, when it turns negative. The following equation relating ultrasonic velocity of fresh water to temperature may be found in Volume seven of the Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Second Edition:

V= 1410 + 4.21T - 0.037T(2) (T squared)
Where
V=fresh water ultrasonic velocity (m/s)
T=water temp (degrees C)

This formula seems to have a slight offset from empirical measurements I have made.
I have found the data in "Speed of sound in pure water as a function of temperature" by Nykolai Bilaniuk and George S.K. Wong, journal of the Acoustical society of America, Vol. 93, N0. 3 march 1993to match my measurements more closely.

I also would be interested in an explanation of the physics associated with the coefficient reversal.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window