where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
kauhmani
kauhmani
00:12 Jan-19-2002
Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water

Hello
I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
Best regards

elgazery
elgazery
01:18 Jan-21-2002
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water
Please
tell us how you measured and calculated the attenuation

: Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards

Mike Leger
Mike Leger
03:35 Jan-25-2002
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water
: Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards
Velocity of water versus temperature is indeed positive from 0 deg C to 74 deg C, when it turns negative. The following equation relating ultrasonic velocity of fresh water to temperature may be found in Volume seven of the Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Second Edition:

V= 1410 + 4.21T - 0.037T(2) (T squared)
Where
V=fresh water ultrasonic velocity (m/s)
T=water temp (degrees C)

This formula seems to have a slight offset from empirical measurements I have made.
I have found the data in "Speed of sound in pure water as a function of temperature" by Nykolai Bilaniuk and George S.K. Wong, journal of the Acoustical society of America, Vol. 93, N0. 3 march 1993to match my measurements more closely.

I also would be interested in an explanation of the physics associated with the coefficient reversal.

Product Spotlight

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window