where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology

00:12 Jan-19-2002
kauhmani
Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water

Hello
I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
Best regards

01:18 Jan-21-2002
elgazery
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water Please
tell us how you measured and calculated the attenuation

: Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards

03:35 Jan-25-2002
Mike Leger
Re: Need some interpretation of ultrasonic velocity in olive oil and water : Hello
: I have made some measurements on ultrasonic velocity versus temperature in water and olive and sunflower oils. The temperature coeffecient is positif for water and negatif for oils.
: Thank very much to give a physical interpretation of this behavior or some documentation on this topic.
: Best regards
Velocity of water versus temperature is indeed positive from 0 deg C to 74 deg C, when it turns negative. The following equation relating ultrasonic velocity of fresh water to temperature may be found in Volume seven of the Nondestructive Testing Handbook, Second Edition:

V= 1410 + 4.21T - 0.037T(2) (T squared)
Where
V=fresh water ultrasonic velocity (m/s)
T=water temp (degrees C)

This formula seems to have a slight offset from empirical measurements I have made.
I have found the data in "Speed of sound in pure water as a function of temperature" by Nykolai Bilaniuk and George S.K. Wong, journal of the Acoustical society of America, Vol. 93, N0. 3 march 1993to match my measurements more closely.

I also would be interested in an explanation of the physics associated with the coefficient reversal.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|