where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Massimiliano Pau
Teacher, -
Univ. of Cagliari, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Italy, Joined Sep 2002, 25

Massimiliano Pau

Teacher, -
Univ. of Cagliari, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,
Italy,
Joined Sep 2002
03:09 Jan-29-2002
Diffraction effects

Dear colleagues

I'm trying to measure small flat-bottom holes (diameters from 0.5 to 10 mm) in a steel specimen by scanning them with a longitudinal immersion 10 MHz focussed probe.

My question are:

1. How diffraction effects can alter the reflection of the ultrasonic beam when part of it hits the edge of the hole?

2. Can I take into account these effects in order to "correct" the size which comes from the C-scan results?

3. Is there any literature reference (please not too theoretical if possible) on this topic?

Thanks in advance

Massimiliano Pau

P.S. thanks to Joe Buckley for his precious advice about the noise with electromagnetic fields generated by an inverter. It worked!

N.T. Azarov
Engineering
GosNIIGA, Russia, Joined Jan 2000, 12

N.T. Azarov

Engineering
GosNIIGA,
Russia,
Joined Jan 2000
09:21 Jan-31-2002
Re: Diffraction effects
-----éÓÈÏÄÎÏÅ ÓÏÏÂÝÅÎÉÅ-----
ïÔ: forum@ndt.net
ëÏÍÕ: undisclosed-recipients:;
äÁÔÁ: 29 ÑÎ×ÁÒÑ 2002 Ç. 15:13
ôÅÍÁ: Diffraction effects

> * This article was posted by Massimiliano Pau
>Reply at:http://www.ndt.net/wshop/forum/messages/3839.htm
>
>Dear colleagues
>
>I'm trying to measure small flat-bottom holes (diameters from 0.5 to 10 mm)
in a steel specimen by scanning them with a longitudinal immersion 10 MHz
focussed probe.
>
>My question are:
>
>1. How diffraction effects can alter the reflection of the ultrasonic beam
when part of it hits the edge of the hole?
>
>2. Can I take into account these effects in order to "correct" the size
which comes from the C-scan results?
>
>3. Is there any literature reference (please not too theoretical if
possible) on this topic?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Massimiliano Pau
>
>P.S. thanks to Joe Buckley for his precious advice about the noise with
electromagnetic fields generated by an inverter. It worked!
>

>Dear, Mr Pau.
I have experience of a ultrasonic control thin-walled (0,5-5mm) of welded
seams on frequencies 10-15MHz by a focusing transducer (immersion control).
A diameter of a focal spot 0,5mm. C-scan the image of an imperfection (flaw)
is a convolution of two functions: functions of reflection of an
imperfection (flaw) (including diffractional effects) and cut of a focal
spot. The dependence of sort is obtained: "conditional square - diameter of
an imperfection (flaw)".
My E-mail:
azar@orc.ru, azar@ncplg.msk.ru
N. Azarov.
>--

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window