where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
method for detection water in honeycomb
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

STARMANS elctronics, s. r.o.
STARMANS is the Central European leading producer of industrial measuring, detecting and combined equipments for non-destructive testing

04:10 Feb-21-2002

Klimaszewski

Engineering
Instytut Techniczny Wojsk Lotniczych,
Poland,
Joined Mar 2001
method for detection water in honeycomb

I am looking for a method/equipment (except X-ray) for detection water in aircraft structure consists of: al alloy skin + al alloy honeycomb).
Thank you in advance for any help.
S³awomir

05:04 Feb-21-2002
Richard Fitch
Re: method for detection water in honeycomb : I am looking for a method/equipment (except X-ray) for detection water in aircraft structure consists of: al alloy skin + al alloy honeycomb).
: Thank you in advance for any help.
: S³awomir
We are developing a method using infra-red thermal imaging with good results so far. Please contact me if you require more information.

05:26 Feb-21-2002

John Rodgers

Consultant
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Oct 2001
Re: method for detection water in honeycomb : I am looking for a method/equipment (except X-ray) for detection water in aircraft structure consists of: al alloy skin + al alloy honeycomb).
We previously developed a method using acoustic emission for the USAF that was very effective and used in maintenance for a number of years. It could find very small amounts of moisture (non-standing) by detecting corrosion activity. The process used a hot air gun to heat they local structure briefly, then monitoring with a single channel AE instrument for ~1 minute. This was done on 6-inch centers. It was used on Al honeycomb structure. This procedure could also be practiced in the field without removing structure. It was used to find and map very small amounts of corrosion, even where there was only a slight "frosting" of the honeycomb Al cells.

05:30 Feb-21-2002
Chris Coughlin

Microwave NDT has been used with tremendous success for this exact application as a relatively straightforward inspection. The Canadian military used to do a lot of work in this field, I don't know if they're still involved with it or not. A good starting point would be Dr. Zoughi's Applied Microwave Nondestructive Testing Laboratory at http://www.ece.umr.edu/amntl/.

09:30 Feb-21-2002

Fernando Santos

Engineering
NDT EXPERT,
France,
Joined Jun 2000
Shearography is a laser interferometry method able to detect water in al alloy skin + al alloy honeycomb. This method is certified for the inspection of the Concorde elevons and is now included in the Concorde NTM (Nondestructive Testing Manual). Concorde elevons are al alloy skin + al alloy honeycomb with skin thikcness ranging from 0.6mm to 3.5mm.
NDT Expert uses this method to inspect Air France Concorde fleet. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

00:52 Feb-21-2002

Azarov N.T.

Engineering
GosNIIGA,
Russia,
Joined Jan 2000

From Azarov N.T. (E-mail: azar@orc.ru,
ndt137@ncplg.msk.ru) the developer of ultrasonic instruments and process engineerings of a control, at your interest, is off-the shelf to consider problems of a control of water in honeycomb constructions used in aircraft construction .
Besides in Russian Civil aircraft this problem is solved completely: after detection of water the effective deleting and repair on the developed original process engineering will be carried out it. The characteristics of a ultrasonic method of a control of water in honeycomb constructions and it matching with a X-ray method are reduced below.

MATCHING
Characteristics of ultrasonic and X-ray methods control
of a content of water in bonded honeycomb constructions

¹ Parameter of control.
Ultrasonic method (UT).
X-ray method (RT).

1.Requirement to conditions of realization of a control:
UT. The control of honeycomb aggregates on a airplane at any time, including in winter conditions (is possible at a heating of an aggregate from an air field heat source), at a horizontal position of an aggregate or at declination up to 30 deg. The method of a control immersion, with local bath.
RT. Is possible) a control only of honeycomb aggregates removed with a airplane, in conditions of a hangar, in night .

2.Sensitivity:
UT - minimum a level of water in honeycomb, measuring of method 0,8mm.
RT - 2-3mm.

3.Productivity:
sq.m in hour. UT - 5-10 sq.m in hour.
RT - 1-2 sq.m in hour.

4. Possibility of measurement of a height of a pole of fluid in honeycombs and the definitions it of total volume in aggregate:
UT - are measured, representation of the information as C-scan, a mark of sites with water on a surface aggregate for consequent it extract.
RT - are not measured.

5.Complexity of a control on airplane of a type IL-86: UT - 510 norm. hour.
RT - 1500 norm. hour.

6. Radiation danger:
UT - is safe.
RT - is dangerous.

7. Power consumption and a mass of an equipment:
UT - 50 W, 15kg.
RT - 1500 W,150 kg.
N.T. Azarov

02:36 Mar-19-2002
Norm Woodward

I wish you luck...

Despite some other claims at this thread, the USAF has not been especially satisfied with alternative methods of water detection, which has included thermography, neutron radiography, ultrasound, and, I guess, AE.

But there is good news. The two basic problems of radiography, safety and expense, can be significantly reduced.

We are currently using phosphor plate systems, as marketed by the major film manufacturers, to replace film, and 150kvp & 300kvp Golden pulsed x-ray sources to replace continuous potential sources.

Since the plates are reusuable, and the pulsed sources are nearly harmless beyond 20 ft (6 m), the economics and environmental improvements may cause you to rethink the abandoning of x-radiography.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|