where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
AE on very tall steel structured buildings
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:26 Mar-02-2002

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
AE on very tall steel structured buildings

Quite recently I was involved with the ongoing construction of a very tall building (projected height when eventually completed will be 500+m).

Buildings of this type consist of a steel structure of columns and girder with external cladding. The structure monitoring was to be strain gauges fitted to the foundation as earthquakes were a common event..

My thought at the time was that this was an ideal application for AE testing. If AE was used in a condition monitoring system it would likely detect significant events such as high tension bolts failure and weld cracking through or via the steel structure.

I have not seen any papers on AE testing of tall buildings and I thought it to be both an interesting and prudent application of the technology.

I am interested in your comments.

Kind Regards

Michael Trinidad

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|