where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Peter Brealey
Peter Brealey
09:53 Mar-24-2002
rubber-lined piping inspection

I have a requirement to determine if there is any degradation to rubber lining and/or product build up in 1500m of 6" pipe.

The service is Barren liquor.
The pipes are in individual lengths of 6m and readily accessible.

Lixi-profiler is being considered. Can this do the job?
I assume the LP gives data only in the plane of firing therefore to achieve 100% coverage lots of turning of the device would be required, am I correct in this assumption?.

Another option being thrown around is to internally warm up the pipes with industrial type air blower and utilise thermography.

If anyone has any info or other ideas I would appreciate your input.

Breals.

Peter Philipp
Consultant
PQS, United Kingdom, Joined Jan 2002, 7

Peter Philipp

Consultant
PQS,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2002
07:39 Mar-25-2002
Re: rubber-lined piping inspection
In reply to the query below have you considered using long range ultrasonics (guided waves).

Guided ultrasonics ltd manufacture equipment that is used for detecting corrosion internal/external from a single point.

For your specific problem the equipment could detect any area where the lining had broken down and caused internal corrosion of 10% cross sectional area or possibly better depending on the overall condition of the pipe.

In order to get full coverage two tests would be required on each 6m spool.

We know that this can be used for this application and in most cases can be tested while onstream.

We are not a service providor but if you advise the country where you want the tests we can advise service providors who can carry out the work.

You can contact me by e-mail or telephone +44 (0)1487 813015. You can also visit our website www.guided-ultrasonics.com.

: I have a requirement to determine if there is any degradation to rubber lining and/or product build up in 1500m of 6" pipe.
: The service is Barren liquor.
: The pipes are in individual lengths of 6m and readily accessible.
: Lixi-profiler is being considered. Can this do the job?
: I assume the LP gives data only in the plane of firing therefore to achieve 100% coverage lots of turning of the device would be required, am I correct in this assumption?.
: Another option being thrown around is to internally warm up the pipes with industrial type air blower and utilise thermography.
: If anyone has any info or other ideas I would appreciate your input.
: Breals.

Product Spotlight

Panther

The Panther product range combines speed and performance of phased- array ultrasound technology in
a compact format. Targeted towards integrators for inline inspections and laboratories for R&D, Panter products offer a flexible and scalable solution for generic and custom NDT.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window