where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
rubber-lined piping inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:53 Mar-24-2002
Peter Brealey
rubber-lined piping inspection

I have a requirement to determine if there is any degradation to rubber lining and/or product build up in 1500m of 6" pipe.

The service is Barren liquor.
The pipes are in individual lengths of 6m and readily accessible.

Lixi-profiler is being considered. Can this do the job?
I assume the LP gives data only in the plane of firing therefore to achieve 100% coverage lots of turning of the device would be required, am I correct in this assumption?.

Another option being thrown around is to internally warm up the pipes with industrial type air blower and utilise thermography.

If anyone has any info or other ideas I would appreciate your input.

Breals.

07:39 Mar-25-2002

Peter Philipp

Consultant
PQS,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2002
Re: rubber-lined piping inspection In reply to the query below have you considered using long range ultrasonics (guided waves).

Guided ultrasonics ltd manufacture equipment that is used for detecting corrosion internal/external from a single point.

For your specific problem the equipment could detect any area where the lining had broken down and caused internal corrosion of 10% cross sectional area or possibly better depending on the overall condition of the pipe.

In order to get full coverage two tests would be required on each 6m spool.

We know that this can be used for this application and in most cases can be tested while onstream.

We are not a service providor but if you advise the country where you want the tests we can advise service providors who can carry out the work.

You can contact me by e-mail or telephone +44 (0)1487 813015. You can also visit our website www.guided-ultrasonics.com.

: I have a requirement to determine if there is any degradation to rubber lining and/or product build up in 1500m of 6" pipe.
: The service is Barren liquor.
: The pipes are in individual lengths of 6m and readily accessible.
: Lixi-profiler is being considered. Can this do the job?
: I assume the LP gives data only in the plane of firing therefore to achieve 100% coverage lots of turning of the device would be required, am I correct in this assumption?.
: Another option being thrown around is to internally warm up the pipes with industrial type air blower and utilise thermography.
: If anyone has any info or other ideas I would appreciate your input.
: Breals.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|