where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of Inconnel welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:22 Apr-09-2002

Marian SOARE

R & D
Nuclear NDT Research & Services,
Romania,
Joined Jun 2000
UT of Inconnel welds

I need information about ultrasonic testing methodology of welds of alloyed steel (type 12 Ni 19) with Inconnel 600 electrode (weld material).

Our metallographic studies shown a columnar grain structure oriented along the heat current lines, as in austenitic welds. However, examination with longitudinal angle beam seems do not be possible because of the higher difference in the acoustic impedance between the base material (alloyed steel) and weld material (Inconnel). On the other hand, sonic transparency for transverse angle beam is not always enough good ( it is very different from sample to sample, despite that the microstructure seems to be similar). Some kind of “de-focusing” is producing sometime inside the weld, and the signal-to-noise ratio become unacceptable low.

Any piece of information related to this problem (papers, direct experience) will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance !

Marian SOARE

09:34 Apr-09-2002

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: UT of Inconnel welds Dear Marian,

I have very good succes with using 2 MHz RTD 60 degree and 70 degree longitudinal wave search units.

One question to ask is what is the grain size of this particular Inconel.

Also, what is the thickness of the material?

Using a depth calibration as outline in the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook, very good results can be achieved with the focused L-wave search units.

I I performed this inspection and qualified the technqiue for Dow Chemical in Texas in the early 1990s.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

:
: I need information about ultrasonic testing methodology of welds of alloyed steel (type 12 Ni 19) with Inconnel 600 electrode (weld material).
: Our metallographic studies shown a columnar grain structure oriented along the heat current lines, as in austenitic welds. However, examination with longitudinal angle beam seems do not be possible because of the higher difference in the acoustic impedance between the base material (alloyed steel) and weld material (Inconnel). Onthe other hand, sonic transparency for transverse angle beam is not always enough good ( it is very different from sample to sample, despite that the microstructure seems to be similar). Some kind of “de-focusing” is producing sometime inside the weld, and the signal-to-noise ratio become unacceptable low.
: Any piece of information related to this problem (papers, direct experience) will be greatly appreciated.
: Thank you in advance !
: Marian SOARE

08:19 Apr-10-2002
Dave Wilkes
Re: UT of Inconnel welds I worked in a pressure vessel shop some several years back. The client required UT on a vessel made of inconel. A probe manufacturer created some custom
probes especially for the job. Even then when I drilled a test hole in a piece of the actual inconel
material I could not find it with UT.

Dave Wilkes
Asst Editor
http://www.ndtcabin.com "The internet magazine for ndt professionals"

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|