where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Marian SOARE
R & D
Nuclear NDT Research & Services, Romania, Joined Jun 2000, 1

Marian SOARE

R & D
Nuclear NDT Research & Services,
Romania,
Joined Jun 2000
09:22 Apr-09-2002
UT of Inconnel welds

I need information about ultrasonic testing methodology of welds of alloyed steel (type 12 Ni 19) with Inconnel 600 electrode (weld material).

Our metallographic studies shown a columnar grain structure oriented along the heat current lines, as in austenitic welds. However, examination with longitudinal angle beam seems do not be possible because of the higher difference in the acoustic impedance between the base material (alloyed steel) and weld material (Inconnel). On the other hand, sonic transparency for transverse angle beam is not always enough good ( it is very different from sample to sample, despite that the microstructure seems to be similar). Some kind of “de-focusing” is producing sometime inside the weld, and the signal-to-noise ratio become unacceptable low.

Any piece of information related to this problem (papers, direct experience) will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance !

Marian SOARE

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
09:34 Apr-09-2002
Re: UT of Inconnel welds
Dear Marian,

I have very good succes with using 2 MHz RTD 60 degree and 70 degree longitudinal wave search units.

One question to ask is what is the grain size of this particular Inconel.

Also, what is the thickness of the material?

Using a depth calibration as outline in the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook, very good results can be achieved with the focused L-wave search units.

I I performed this inspection and qualified the technqiue for Dow Chemical in Texas in the early 1990s.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

:
: I need information about ultrasonic testing methodology of welds of alloyed steel (type 12 Ni 19) with Inconnel 600 electrode (weld material).
: Our metallographic studies shown a columnar grain structure oriented along the heat current lines, as in austenitic welds. However, examination with longitudinal angle beam seems do not be possible because of the higher difference in the acoustic impedance between the base material (alloyed steel) and weld material (Inconnel). Onthe other hand, sonic transparency for transverse angle beam is not always enough good ( it is very different from sample to sample, despite that the microstructure seems to be similar). Some kind of “de-focusing” is producing sometime inside the weld, and the signal-to-noise ratio become unacceptable low.
: Any piece of information related to this problem (papers, direct experience) will be greatly appreciated.
: Thank you in advance !
: Marian SOARE

Dave Wilkes
Dave Wilkes
08:19 Apr-10-2002
Re: UT of Inconnel welds
I worked in a pressure vessel shop some several years back. The client required UT on a vessel made of inconel. A probe manufacturer created some custom
probes especially for the job. Even then when I drilled a test hole in a piece of the actual inconel
material I could not find it with UT.

Dave Wilkes
Asst Editor
http://www.ndtcabin.com "The internet magazine for ndt professionals"

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window