where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

08:21 Apr-13-2002

AxlZ W AekZ

R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi,
Thailand,
Joined Jun 2001
I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection.

I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.

04:52 Apr-16-2002

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection. You could try laminating the magnetic cores of your coils similar to transformers.

But what may be of interest to you was initially MFL rope testers were AC magnetic field operated but to my knowledge could only detect LF (Local Faults) such as broken wires. However after the advent and utilization of powerful rare earth magnets MFL rope testers can detect LF and LMA (Loss of Magnetic Area) faults such as corrosion, wear, thinning etc using a combination of coil and hall effect sensors.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

: I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.

07:31 Apr-17-2002

AxlZ W AekZ

R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi,
Thailand,
Joined Jun 2001
Re: I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection. : I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.
Dear Sir.
Thank you, for your suggest. I used DC supply(100A. 12V.)not AC supply. Because of,rare magnet in my country is expensive and hard to find. Can I detect LMA fault with coil sensors only? I think tested signal can intigral with sigal conditioning unit. Right?

THank you.

AxlZ W. AekZ

02:00 Apr-18-2002

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection. Sawadee,

I guess with new computing technology you may be able to differentiate between the signals. I have done a lot of rope testing on mineshafts in Australia and found it to be a very interesting field.

If I can help in anyway please ask.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad
Business Development Manager

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|