where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
AxlZ W AekZ
R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi, Thailand, Joined Jun 2001, 16

AxlZ W AekZ

R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi,
Thailand,
Joined Jun 2001
08:21 Apr-13-2002
I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection.

I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
04:52 Apr-16-2002
Re: I have problem with MFL TOOL for wire rope inspection.
You could try laminating the magnetic cores of your coils similar to transformers.

But what may be of interest to you was initially MFL rope testers were AC magnetic field operated but to my knowledge could only detect LF (Local Faults) such as broken wires. However after the advent and utilization of powerful rare earth magnets MFL rope testers can detect LF and LMA (Loss of Magnetic Area) faults such as corrosion, wear, thinning etc using a combination of coil and hall effect sensors.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

: I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.

AxlZ W AekZ
R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi, Thailand, Joined Jun 2001, 16

AxlZ W AekZ

R & D
King mongkut's university of technology Thonburi,
Thailand,
Joined Jun 2001
07:31 Apr-17-2002
: I build a MFL tool for wire rope inspecton with coil sensors inside and use electromagnet for magnetizing. A problem is heat when I apply current from battery about 100 A to magnetizing coil. Can I reduce the heat ? Becase of, it destroy my casing and sensors.
Dear Sir.
Thank you, for your suggest. I used DC supply(100A. 12V.)not AC supply. Because of,rare magnet in my country is expensive and hard to find. Can I detect LMA fault with coil sensors only? I think tested signal can intigral with sigal conditioning unit. Right?

THank you.

AxlZ W. AekZ

Michael Trinidad
Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd , Australia, Joined Jan 2003, 138

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
02:00 Apr-18-2002
Sawadee,

I guess with new computing technology you may be able to differentiate between the signals. I have done a lot of rope testing on mineshafts in Australia and found it to be a very interesting field.

If I can help in anyway please ask.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad
Business Development Manager

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window