where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
mpi NDT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:43 Oct-14-1998
Dik de Groot
mpi NDT

In either Insight or Materials Evaluation in the time frame of 1996-1997 there has been an article for making cracks in a steel plate for training purposes.
However, I can not remember or locate the article.
The method was using a heat sensitive base material on which a strip was welded (spot welded). After cooling down the strip was removed and the weld grounded flush.
At the welded spot cracks were introduced. The article was good because all the materials and the method was mentioned. It was a short article, could be in NDT Basics or Back to Basics.
Can you help me locate the article.

Thanks in advance.

Dik de Groot

08:39 Oct-14-1998

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: mpi NDT : In either Insight or Materials Evaluation in the time frame of 1996-1997 there has been an article for making cracks in a steel plate for training purposes.
: However, I can not remember or locate the article.
: The method was using a heat sensitive base material on which a strip was welded (spot welded). After cooling down the strip was removed and the weld grounded flush.
: At the welded spot cracks were introduced. The article was good because all the materials and the method was mentioned. It was a short article, could be in NDT Basics or Back to Basics.
: Can you help me locate the article.

: Thanks in advance.

: Dik de Groot
-----------------
It was published in 5 parts in Insight.
For the first two issues we have the TOC's on NDTnet.
(Insight maybe continue the other issues on their own homepage
http://www.powertech.co.uk/bindt/, unfortunalty
the server is not responding)

Vol 40 No. 1 (Jan 98)
NDT FUNDAMENTALS: Magnetic Particle Testing pp. 53
www.ndt.net/bibliog/insi0198.htm

Vol 40 No. 2 (Feb 98)
Part 2. Electromagnetic induction pp. 122
www.ndt.net/bibliog/insi0298.htm

Vol 40 No. 3 (Mar 98)
Part 3. The magnetic flow method pp. 220

Vol 40 No. 4 (April 98)
Part 4. Test values pp. 292

Vol 40 No. 5 (May 98)
Part 5. Magnetic Particle inks and powers pp. 356

00:16 Feb-19-1999
William Avrin, San Diego, CA
Re: mpi NDT I read with interest your response to a question about magnetic particle inspection of cracks in steel plates. I have been working on ultralow-frequency eddy-current methods which can potentially detect flaws several millimeters deep in steel. Can you suggest any situations where this kind of capability might be useful?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|