where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ACFM
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Tecnatom
Tecnatom has more than 50 years of experience providing services, equipment and systems devoted to NDT testing in several sectors and markets.

09:48 Apr-16-2002
S S Ananthan
ACFM

SIr,

I understand that ACFM is a technique for finding the surface cracks. Where is it being used? Can it be used in power plants during shutdown for condition assessment ? What sort of surface cleaning is required ? Anybody using the technique for in service inspection ? If any literature source is available pl indicate

S S Ananthan

00:08 Apr-16-2002

T.Ausland

Consultant
Norway,
Joined Mar 2001
Re: ACFM : SIr,
: I understand that ACFM is a technique for finding the surface cracks. Where is it being used? Can it be used in power plants during shutdown for condition assessment ? What sort of surface cleaning is required ? Anybody using the technique for in service inspection ? If any literature source is available pl indicate
:
: S S Ananthan
You are correct ! The equipmen are use to detect surface breacing cracks offshore ,onshore and could be used at powerplants as well. ACFM have data storage facillities for your scans and sizing opportunities.The requirement for cleaning will be as for eddy current. However the ACFM method is not the fastest method avilable and it takes a trained operator to do a efficient and qualifyed job. In normal job situations where you dont have requirements for data storage i would not choose ACFM but rather more conventional eddy current equipment.

T.Ausland

00:46 Apr-16-2002

Peter Simpson

Director,
Ashtead Technology Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ACFM Excellent information on ACFM is available from Technical Software Consultants web site http://www.tscuk.demon.co.uk/tschome.htm

Regards

Peter Simpson

: SIr,
: I understand that ACFM is a technique for finding the surface cracks. Where is it being used? Can it be used in power plants during shutdown for condition assessment ? What sort of surface cleaning is required ? Anybody using the technique for in service inspection ? If any literature source is available pl indicate
:
: S S Ananthan

00:58 Apr-16-2002

M. Lugg

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: ACFM : : SIr,
: .
: : I understand that ACFM is a technique for finding the surface cracks. Where is it being used? Can it be used in power plants during shutdown for condition assessment ? What sort of surface cleaning is required ? Anybody using the technique for in service inspection ? If any literature source is available pl indicate
: :
: : S S Ananthan
: You are correct ! The equipmen are use to detect surface breacing cracks offshore ,onshore and could be used at powerplants as well. ACFM have data storage facillities for your scans and sizing opportunities.The requirement for cleaning will be as for eddy current. However the ACFM method is not the fastest method avilable and it takes a trained operator to do a efficient and qualifyed job. In normal job situations where you dont have requirements for data storage i would not choose ACFM but rather more conventional eddy current equipment.
: T.Ausland
ACFM is certainly widely used on power plants. It has advantages of being able to work through thicker coatings than conventional eddy currents or MPI, thus reducing cleaning requirements, and can depth size cracks. For more information, please refer to our web-site.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|