where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Clad Thickness Measurement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Eddyfi
Pursuing and developing eddy current array (ECA) technology to its full potential.

03:17 May-04-2002
S S Ananthan
Clad Thickness Measurement

Dear Sir,

I am in the lookout for an instrument for finding the thickness of cladding.
The base material is stainless steel AISI 309. The clad will be stellite 6 or stellite 21.
The thickness range will be about 1.0 to 2.0 mm. The accuracy levels required is 0.1 mm.
The clad is made with Gas Metal Arc Welding.

Can someone pl suggest a suitable equipment for this ?

S S Ananthan

05:39 May-04-2002
Richard Kazares
Re: Clad Thickness Measurement It is SOMETIMES possible to detect a cladding layer using ultrasound - but it is usually not an easy task. The problem is the similarity of sound velocity (impedence) between the cladding and the base material.

Having noted the above - it MAY be possible to do so for specific conditions - if you wish, you can contact me (see e-mail) and we would be pleased to arrange to test a small sample of your material.

: Dear Sir,
: I am in the lookout for an instrument for finding the thickness of cladding.
: The base material is stainless steel AISI 309. The clad will be stellite 6 or stellite 21.
: The thickness range will be about 1.0 to 2.0 mm. The accuracy levels required is 0.1 mm.
: The clad is made with Gas Metal Arc Welding.
: Can someone pl suggest a suitable equipment for this ?
: S S Ananthan

03:34 May-06-2002
S. White
Re: Clad Thickness Measurement You need to use eddy current.
It is widely used to measure coating thickness.
There are specific units that are sold that focus on measuring coating/cladding thickness.

: The base material is stainless steel AISI 309. The clad will be stellite 6 or stellite 21.
: The thickness range will be about 1.0 to 2.0 mm. The accuracy levels required is 0.1 mm.

09:31 May-06-2002

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Clad Thickness Measurement As noted by Mr. Kazares, the success or failure of ultrasonic measurement of cladding thickness depends on the ratio of the acoustic impedances of the two materials. With stellite over stainless steel, there's a reasonably good chance that the mismatch will be sufficient to permit detection an echo with the proper equipment.

Simple ultrasonic gages will usually NOT make the measurement because they'll grab the very large echo off the bottom of the stainless rather than the much smaller echo from the stellite/stainless boundary.

I'd try a 20 MHz contact transducer (for fast recovery time) on either a flaw detector or a gage that allows the user to adjust gain and blanking. Note that because of the geometry of the boundary, the echo will be cleaner at some points than others, so I'd also recommend hunting around for the cleanest response before recording data.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

02:15 Aug-20-2002
John Hart
low dilution clad technique - no melting substrate surface : If you are interested in a low heat, low distortion and low dilution process which eliminates carrying a molten pool on the substrate surface for injection of cladding alloy, please contact H&R Technology. HRT's PMDTM process fuses solid metal flat wire onto a substrate without the need to create a molten pool of metal. As a result, HRT's PMDTM process repairs or produces metal parts with an order of magnitude less heat input than competing technologies, yielding parts with minimal distortion and superior metallurgical characteristics.

Dear Sir,

03:01 Aug-20-2002
Sean Franklin
Re: low dilution clad technique - no melting substrate surface The NDT Automation M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity to quickly and accurately record metal thickness (Metal to Metal & Metal to Non-Metal), metal sorting, as well as, several other applications such as spot/laser weld control.

The resistivity of metal is determined by its grain structure composition and state of internal stress.
The most common materials used in the metalworking industry have significantly different internal characteristics, and as a result, different resistivities.

For additional information contact Sean Franklin @ Sfranklin@NDTAutomation.com

: : If you are interested in a low heat, low distortion and low dilution process which eliminates carrying a molten pool on the substrate surface for injection of cladding alloy, please contact H&R Technology. HRT's PMDTM process fuses solid metal flat wire onto a substrate without the need to create a molten pool of metal. As a result, HRT's PMDTM process repairs or produces metal parts with an order of magnitude less heat input than competing technologies, yielding parts with minimal distortion and superior metallurgical characteristics.
: .
: : I am in the lookout for an instrument for finding the thickness of cladding.
: : The base material is stainless steel AISI 309. The clad will be stellite 6 or stellite 21.
: : The thickness range will be about 1.0 to 2.0 mm. The accuracy levels required is 0.1 mm.
: : The clad is made with Gas Metal Arc Welding.
: : Can someone pl suggest a suitable equipment for this ?
: : S S Ananthan

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|