where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
safety rules
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:06 May-14-2002

haidar shahri

NDT Inspector
abadan refinery,
Iran,
Joined Apr 2002
safety rules

I would be very grateful if you advise me about carrieng NDT personnels by crane and bascket to do ultrasonic thickness measurements on elevated structures such as boiler stacks. Is there any safety rules for this duty? best regards

09:07 May-14-2002

Dan H.

NDT Inspector, Level II QC/QA Inspector
Contractor Short/Long Term,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: safety rules : I would be very grateful if you advise me about carrieng NDT personnels by crane and bascket to do ultrasonic thickness measurements on elevated structures such as boiler stacks. Is there any safety rules for this duty? best regards
:What country are you in?

01:20 May-14-2002

gerry may

Consultant
Kellogg Brown & Root (Halliburton),
USA,
Joined Aug 2000
Re: safety rules : : I would be very grateful if you advise me about carrieng NDT personnels by crane and bascket to do ultrasonic thickness measurements on elevated structures such as boiler stacks. Is there any safety rules for this duty? best regards
: .
: :What country are you in?
Safety rules should be site, company and country specific. If there is no safety program at a particular site, then you must be insistent of using proper safety procedures. Sky Climbers, cranes and other devices should have an independent method of fall protection, if at all possible. Just as we know the plant equipment can and does fail (why else would we be inspecting), cranes, scaffolds and other personnel supports are notorious for serious failures and loss of life. Recognize the risks, make sure there is a secure back-up, and only then consider using such devices. It is the rare data that is worth risking your life over.

A possible source for specific rules is the US government OSHA web site. (Search on OSHA and it should come up.)

01:19 May-15-2002

Robert Paynter

R & D, Research Assistant
U of Oxford,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2001
Re: safety rules : I would be very grateful if you advise me about carrieng NDT personnels by crane and bascket to do ultrasonic thickness measurements on elevated structures such as boiler stacks. Is there any safety rules for this duty? best regards

My experience is in the United Kingdom at a government operated site working on an experimental wind turbine. We used a basket to access the outside of the turbine, and climbed the tower to access the inside (gearboxes etc). This mix of access had developed because it was identified that transferring from the basket to the tower (a practice we had done before) was a very dangerous and should only ever be carried out by a fully trained (4 day course) climber.

All of us that accessed the turbine (higher than 2 metres) had a short course with a trainer who came to train us on the specific turbine tower. I think that was the right level of training.

Equipments (ropes, harnesses, hardhats, hooking on points, etc.) were all regularly inspected and renewed when worn.

All activities were "Risk Assessed" which is the core of UK safety practice. You must spend time considering each risk, take measures to prevent and reduce any effects. If you don't take reasonable measures or fail to identify significant risks then you will be liable to be sued for negligence. The idea of this is that you consider your own case properly - don't just try and apply a safety formula; I think it is entirely reasonable.

If the NDT inspection staff arrive and find that safety has not been properly assessed and provided for they should quite reasonably refuse and expect payment for their wasted time.

--
More specifically.
If they are staying in the basket (which I hope they are) then there is probably some standard guidance available, try the UK HSE (Health & Safety Executive). If they are being asked to transfer then I would expect that they should have (a fairly high level of) climbing training; and there needs to be provison like proper attachement points - ie only for the purpose of safety attachment. You should also make sure there are rescue arrangements in place if there is an incident, eg is the local fire brigade equipped with a high enough ladder because the access crane may be part of the problem and an independent alternative will be needed.

If it all works out too onerous then it may actually be cost effective to build a stairway or appropriate ladder up to the testing point.

=======
Don't take any of that as formal advice - I'm not a safety professional; it's more a memoir of some of the issues my group went through as we developed policies on access to our fairly short (15m) turbine.

Regards, Robert

03:44 May-15-2002

Joe Buckley, Sonatest Plc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Assuming the Boiler stacks are of magnetic material (I.e ferritic stainless steel or similar) you may find that a magnetic crawler is a sensible option. We have sold a number of these in the UK for refinery work. I will contact you directly with wore information.

Rgds
Joe

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|