where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc.
Acoustic Emission Consulting, Inc. specializes in the design of small portable AE instruments for field and lab use.

01:18 Oct-16-1998
Håkan Sahlén
Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers

Hi,
I'm currently working on my Master Thesis in Science and I wonder if anyone have any idea where I could find information about couplant-free transducers, e.g. articles, websites, or contacts. I've tried to search for it in various databases, but with very little success.
The transducers are supposed to work for transversal waves in the frequeny range around 2-5MHz and for flaw detection in steel constructions.

I would be greatful for any help.
Best regards, Håkan

03:27 Oct-16-1998

Paul Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers Hi Hakan,
These might be ElectroMagnetic Acoustic Transducers (EMATs). They induce a surface motion in the part using electromagnetic forces as the name implies and therefore need no couplant. Depending on the design of the field coils compressional or transverse waves can be generated.
Paul

: Hi,
: I'm currently working on my Master Thesis in Science and I wonder if anyone have any idea where I could find information about couplant-free transducers, e.g. articles, websites, or contacts. I've tried to search for it in various databases, but with very little success.
: The transducers are supposed to work for transversal waves in the frequeny range around 2-5MHz and for flaw detection in steel constructions.

: I would be greatful for any help.
: Best regards, Håkan

05:54 Oct-16-1998

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers : Hi,
: I'm currently working on my Master Thesis in Science and I wonder if anyone have any idea where I could find information about couplant-free transducers, e.g. articles, websites, or contacts. I've tried to search for it in various databases, but with very little success.
: The transducers are supposed to work for transversal waves in the frequeny range around 2-5MHz and for flaw detection in steel constructions.

--------------------------
Hakan,

I know of a company located in Kennewick, Washington, USA that makes couplant free ultrasonic wheel probes. The wheel probes have a soft membrane material on the outer radius, which acts as the couplant. The elements cab be straight beam or angled to focus at a specified depth. These probes have been mounted on mechanical scanners or just used manually. I have only had experience with the Dual Crystal wheel probes and was quite impressed with the resolution they were able to achieve. This company is called SIGMA TRANSDUCERS, INC. and they can be reached at 1-509-783-9497.

Regards,
Richard D. Roberts
QUEST Integrated, Inc.

06:26 Oct-16-1998
Michel Brassard
Re: Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers Håkan,

Our company can help you understanding EMATs. We manufacture EMATs for a variety of use and have engineers and scientists that would be pleased to guide in your research.

Michel Brassard , Tektrend Interantional

Hi,

04:34 Oct-29-1998
Håkan Sahlén
Again: Ultrasonic transducer with alternative couplant material Hi,
Thank you Michel, Richard, and Paul, for trying to help me out with my earlier question. I'm afraid I kind of mislead you with the way I put the words together.
Anyway, what I am looking for is some sort of material as an alternative to the one used as couplant (e.g. honey) for shear waves. And I rather not, for different reasons attach the transducer to the material with epoxi or similar.
If anyone could give some hints, who to talk to, or articles, or similar, it would mean a lot to me.

Once again, I'm grateful for any help,
Best regards,
Håkan Sahlén

05:50 Oct-29-1998

Paul Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Again: Ultrasonic transducer with alternative couplant material Hi Haken,
You can try castable materials that cure to a rubber-like hardness. Two-part RTV's (Room Temperature Vulcanizing materials) might work well at transmitting shear waves into a part because they have a "sticky" surface but they tend to be lossy. Place a thin sheet of the cured material between the transducer and the testpiece and perform a test. Try different materials, when you find one with acceptable performance, cast a thin layer directly onto the face of your probe and then ypu can performa several test iterations until the coupling layer is damaged or too caotaminated to use.
Paul
: Hi,
: Thank you Michel, Richard, and Paul, for trying to help me out with my earlier question. I'm afraid I kind of mislead you with the way I put the words together.
: Anyway, what I am looking for is some sort of material as an alternative to the one used as couplant (e.g. honey) for shear waves. And I rather not, for different reasons attach the transducer to the material with epoxi or similar.
: If anyone could give some hints, who to talk to, or articles, or similar, it would mean a lot to me.

: Once again, I'm grateful for any help,
: Best regards,
: Håkan Sahlén

08:15 Oct-29-1998
Hermann Wustenberg
Re: Again: Ultrasonic transducer with alternative couplant material Concerning dry coupling of shear waves

A very simple mean to achieve a reliable coupling on steel or other metallic material is the use of thin Aluminium foils (e.g. for packaging chocolate or other sweets) between the probe and the surface of your object. With a light manually applied pressure and a simultaneously executed rotation of the piezoceramic Shear-Wave Probe you will arrive at a reasonable coupling of the ultrasonic shear waves. This is probably due to the momentaneous contact of surface roughness peaks thereby producing a transfer of tangential forces.

Try it!

Hermann Wüstenberg
: Hi Haken,
: You can try castable materials that cure to a rubber-like hardness. Two-part RTV's (Room Temperature Vulcanizing materials) might work well at transmitting shear waves into a part because they have a "sticky" surface but they tend to be lossy. Place a thin sheet of the cured material between the transducer and the testpiece and perform a test. Try different materials, when you find one with acceptable performance, cast a thin layer directly onto the face of your probe and then ypu can performa several test iterations until the coupling layer is damaged or too caotaminated to use.
: Paul
: : Hi,
: : Thank you Michel, Richard, and Paul, for trying to help me out with my earlier question. I'm afraid I kind of mislead you with the way I put the words together.
: : Anyway, what I am looking for is some sort of material as an alternative to the one used as couplant (e.g. honey) for shear waves. And I rather not, for different reasons attach the transducer to the material with epoxi or similar.
: : If anyone could give some hints, who to talk to, or articles, or similar, it would mean a lot to me.

: : Once again, I'm grateful for any help,
: : Best regards,
: : Håkan Sahlén

01:13 Oct-29-1998

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Again: Ultrasonic transducer with alternative couplant material
: If anyone could give some hints, who to talk to, or articles, or similar, it would mean a lot to me.

: Once again, I'm grateful for any help,
: Best regards,
: Håkan Sahlén

03:29 Apr-15-1999
Satish
Re: Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers : Hi,

07:12 Jul-13-2001
Mario Alberto Quintero Carvajal
Re: Information about couplant-free ultrasonic transducers hello,

I ned work with ultrasonic but i not know,
please, send me information.

tansk

one question, yours sale ultrasonic?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|