where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Lamb waves
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:52 May-17-2002
Rabindranath
Lamb waves

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.

Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?

Please help!

Thanks,
Rabindranath.

00:40 May-31-2002

Michael Conry

Student
University College Dublin,
Ireland,
Joined May 2002
Re: Lamb waves Are you doing a 2-D or 3-D model. If you are doing a 2-D model, it might be either a plane-strain model (looking in at the edge of the plate) or a shell-like model.

A 2-D plane strain model is probably the best option. The loads you use depend on things like what mode you want to observe (e.g. symmetric loads for symmetric modes), and can be just as simple as applying a harmonic normal force to small regions of the top and bottom surfaces of your model. The resulting propagating wave will be a Lamb wave (you can verify that by looking at frequency-velocity relationship or looking at the mode-shapes). You will get problems when the wave begins to interact with the ends of the model. Ideally you should use "infinite-elements". These are provided in ABAQUS, but might not feature in ANSYS. Basically, such elements provide quiet boundaries for the model and allow energy to leave the model (so you don't get standing waves).

I hope this helps to get you started
m

: Hello everyone,
: I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.
: Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?
: Please help!
: Thanks,
: Rabindranath.

10:40 Dec-14-2015
utkarsh
Re: Lamb waves In Reply to Michael Conry at 00:40 May-31-2002 .

Hi ,
Can anyone please help me to simulate waves in a composite plate using abaqus

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|