where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a world leading research and technology organisation established in 1946. From bases in the UK, USA, China, Malaysia, Middle East, India a ...
Technical Discussions
SK mohiuddin
SK mohiuddin
06:15 May-18-2002
NDT Practical examination

I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.

Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all

1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
3) how good is the candidates report.
4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above

thanks
moin

mike doglas
mike doglas
02:45 Jul-03-2002
Re: NDT Practical examination
: I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.
: Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all
: 1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
: 2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
: 3) how good is the candidates report.
: 4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above
: thanks
: moin
.mike doglas

Product Spotlight

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window