where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT Practical examination
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

06:15 May-18-2002
SK mohiuddin
NDT Practical examination

I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.

Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all

1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
3) how good is the candidates report.
4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above

thanks
moin

02:45 Jul-03-2002
mike doglas
Re: NDT Practical examination : I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.
: Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all
: 1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
: 2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
: 3) how good is the candidates report.
: 4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above
: thanks
: moin
.mike doglas

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|