where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Resdidual magnetism in pipes
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:08 May-25-2002
Bruce Owen
Resdidual magnetism in pipes

Is there an accepted reference Standard for the maximum permissible residual magnetism existing at the ends of gas pipes, or similar, prior to welding, which will not effect the welding procedure, eg arc deflection, blowout.

Replies will be appreciated
Bruce Owen

04:14 May-25-2002

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Resdidual magnetism in pipes : Is there an accepted reference Standard for the maximum permissible residual magnetism existing at the ends of gas pipes, or similar, prior to welding, which will not effect the welding procedure, eg arc deflection, blowout.
: Replies will be appreciated
: Bruce Owen

Hi Bruce,

While I was working in Canada Nova Pipelines had an excellant procedure developed which had max. allowable and methods to remove the magnetism using cable wraps etc.

This came in to play quite often as the right of way we were constructing along ran North South with the added benefit of a power transmission line along to the left.

I would suggest you contact someone from the visual department of Canspec testing ( www.canspec.com ) or RTD www.rtdqualty.com, they may be able to pull out the details or put you onto someone who can.

I cannot recall seeing residual magnetism specified in the canadian or american pipeline standards, most often it was an in-house procedure.

Best Regards,

David Hermanutz

Panametrics Melbourne
Mobile: 0411879064
Fax 61-3-9562-8755

www.panametrics.com
www.everestvit.com
www.rohmann.de

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|