where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Clad steel thickness gauging equipment
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:20 Jun-06-2002

PHUA Siang Ling

Engineering
Singapore Technologies Marine Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Jun 2002
Clad steel thickness gauging equipment

I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?

I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!

Phua Siang Ling

07:55 Jun-18-2002
Dennis
Re: Clad steel thickness gauging equipment

: I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?
: I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?
: Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!
: Phua Siang Ling

We have some some rolls for testing

01:57 Jun-19-2002
Sean Franklin
Re: Clad steel thickness gauging equipment The Physical Acoustics M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity – a basic principle of electronics- which will quickly and accurately help sort metals and determine thickness levels of cladding and other similar geometry’s. The resistivity of a metal (the degree to which it resists the flow of electricity) is affected by its grain structure composition and state of internal stress which identifies the clad material versus base.

The most common materials used in the metalworking industry have significantly different internal characteristics, and as a result, different resistivities. For example, the resistivity for mild steel is in the 14-18 microohms-cm range. The resistivity for stainless steels are in the 70-80 microohms-cm range.

For further information, please contact Sean Franklin at Sfranklin@PACNDT.com or (609) 716-4088.

: : I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?
: .
: : I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?
: : Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!
: : Phua Siang Ling
: We have some some rolls for testing

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|