where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
PHUA Siang Ling
Engineering
Singapore Technologies Marine Ltd, Singapore, Joined Jun 2002, 1

PHUA Siang Ling

Engineering
Singapore Technologies Marine Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Jun 2002
02:20 Jun-06-2002
Clad steel thickness gauging equipment

I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?

I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!

Phua Siang Ling

Dennis
Dennis
07:55 Jun-18-2002
Re: Clad steel thickness gauging equipment

: I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?
: I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?
: Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!
: Phua Siang Ling

We have some some rolls for testing

Sean Franklin
Sean Franklin
01:57 Jun-19-2002
Re: Clad steel thickness gauging equipment
The Physical Acoustics M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity – a basic principle of electronics- which will quickly and accurately help sort metals and determine thickness levels of cladding and other similar geometry’s. The resistivity of a metal (the degree to which it resists the flow of electricity) is affected by its grain structure composition and state of internal stress which identifies the clad material versus base.

The most common materials used in the metalworking industry have significantly different internal characteristics, and as a result, different resistivities. For example, the resistivity for mild steel is in the 14-18 microohms-cm range. The resistivity for stainless steels are in the 70-80 microohms-cm range.

For further information, please contact Sean Franklin at Sfranklin@PACNDT.com or (609) 716-4088.

: : I am looking for a equipment to measure the thickness of the clad side(stainless steel)of a clad steel (s/s thickness = 2mm, m/s thick = 14mm. Understand the "magnetic gauge method" will be able to serve the propose. Any comments?
: .
: : I am currently measure the clad thickness using UT guaging. By assuming the thickness of the backing (mild steel)remain the same, I minus the thickness of the backing (theory)by total thickness of the clad steel by UT. Do you think this apporach is acceptable?
: : Thanks in advance for your comments and advise. Thank You!
: : Phua Siang Ling
: We have some some rolls for testing

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window