where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMechE Engineering Training Solutions
World leading provider of Non-Destructive Testing and Corrosion Prevention and Coatings training, examinations and Level 3 Consultancy Services

Technical Discussions
John Hazel
John Hazel
09:08 Jun-06-2002
Inconel 825 Acoustic longitudinal velocity

I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

Danny Wang
Danny Wang
09:53 Jun-06-2002
Re: Inconel 825 Acoustic longitudinal velocity
: I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

John:

Velocity V=D/t Two techniques:
(1)
Find a place with known thickness (t) such as flange.
Using your UT to find the transient time ( delta T). The time from initial pauls to first back wall or the transient time from 1st back wall to 2nd back wall.

V= 2 x thickness/ delta T

(2)
Find a place with known thickness (t) such as flange.
Using your UT, placed a probe on the known thickness area and change the velocity until the first back to the correct thickness.

If you have futher question you can call me at 909-392-5263. or visit my web site at http://www.spectruminspection.org

Danny Wang, PE

Richard Finlayson
Director, Operations
Princeton Instruments, USA, Joined Jun 2000, 8

Richard Finlayson

Director, Operations
Princeton Instruments,
USA,
Joined Jun 2000
00:52 Jun-06-2002
: : I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?
: .
: John:
John,

You can find a table of acoustic velocities in Part 2 of the NDT Handbook,UT testing,Volume Seven from ASNT. It shows the longitudinal wave velocity as 5820 m/s for Inconel.

Richard
Major (retired) Richard D. Finlayson
Director, Research, Engineering Applications, Certification,
Training (REACT) and New Business Development
Physical Acoustics Corp.
195 Clarksville Road
Princeton Jct. NJ 08550, USA
Direct Phone: (609)-716-4026
Fax: (609)-716-0706
e-mail: rfinlayson@pacndt.com
web site: www.pacndt.com

M. W. Moyer
M. W. Moyer
01:41 Jun-06-2002
I have the following values for Inconel:
Inconel 600 Inconel
Longitudinal Velocity: 5.915 mm/us 5.820 mm/us
Shear Velocity: 3.078 mm/us 3.020 mm/us
Density: 8.45 gm/cm^3 8.250 gm/cm^3

: I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window