where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Lotta Inkovaara
R & D
Imatra Steel Oy Ab, Finland, Joined Jun 2002, 1

Lotta Inkovaara

R & D
Imatra Steel Oy Ab,
Finland,
Joined Jun 2002
00:07 Jun-10-2002
Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?

Hello,

I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.

Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?

Regards,
Lotta inkovaara

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
02:54 Jun-10-2002
Re: Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?
Hi,

This test is most common in High Alloy materials used in Control Rods etc in Aviation.

Panametrics has a lot of experience producing Immersion probes with Cylindrical Contour Correction which helps reduce interface ringdown commonly experienced on Bar Stock.

I suggest you contact our office in Waltham ( ndt@panametrics.com ) for further technical assistance.

I have also recently come across an "as-new" set of 4340 and 347SS Convex surface FBH Cal blocks that may be of some use to you, I will send you the details direct.

Regards,

David Hermanutz
Panametrics Melbourne

: Hello,
: I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.
: Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?
: Regards,
: Lotta inkovaara

Product Spotlight

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window