where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:07 Jun-10-2002

Lotta Inkovaara

R & D
Imatra Steel Oy Ab,
Finland,
Joined Jun 2002
Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?

Hello,

I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.

Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?

Regards,
Lotta inkovaara

02:54 Jun-10-2002

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks? Hi,

This test is most common in High Alloy materials used in Control Rods etc in Aviation.

Panametrics has a lot of experience producing Immersion probes with Cylindrical Contour Correction which helps reduce interface ringdown commonly experienced on Bar Stock.

I suggest you contact our office in Waltham ( ndt@panametrics.com ) for further technical assistance.

I have also recently come across an "as-new" set of 4340 and 347SS Convex surface FBH Cal blocks that may be of some use to you, I will send you the details direct.

Regards,

David Hermanutz
Panametrics Melbourne

: Hello,
: I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.
: Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?
: Regards,
: Lotta inkovaara

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|