where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Lotta Inkovaara
R & D
Imatra Steel Oy Ab, Finland, Joined Jun 2002, 1

Lotta Inkovaara

R & D
Imatra Steel Oy Ab,
Finland,
Joined Jun 2002
00:07 Jun-10-2002
Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?

Hello,

I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.

Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?

Regards,
Lotta inkovaara

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
02:54 Jun-10-2002
Re: Immersion ultrasonic testing of steel bars, calibration blocks?
Hi,

This test is most common in High Alloy materials used in Control Rods etc in Aviation.

Panametrics has a lot of experience producing Immersion probes with Cylindrical Contour Correction which helps reduce interface ringdown commonly experienced on Bar Stock.

I suggest you contact our office in Waltham ( ndt@panametrics.com ) for further technical assistance.

I have also recently come across an "as-new" set of 4340 and 347SS Convex surface FBH Cal blocks that may be of some use to you, I will send you the details direct.

Regards,

David Hermanutz
Panametrics Melbourne

: Hello,
: I'm a research engineer working on immersion ultrasonic testing of steels. I have three years' experience in testing of square test pieces and now I would like to inspect round bars of 50-140 mm just after rolling. I have already made few test with the tranducer of 10 MHz to diameters of 50-75 mm, but I don't have any specification for the calibration or for the testing. The depth of the testing zone could be 15-20 mm and focal point approximately 10 mm below the surface. The aim is to detect inclusions, so maybe the FBH of 0,5 mm could be useful.
: Has somebody already made a specification how to do the calibration and perform the test of round steel bars with immersion method? I would be very glad if somebody could give me advice how to do the calibration and what standard or specification I could use?
: Regards,
: Lotta inkovaara

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window