where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
API 5L Regulation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:14 Jun-17-2002

Himanshu Ranade

Director, Application Development
Fallon Ultrasonic (India) Pvt. ltd.,
India,
Joined Apr 2000
API 5L Regulation

I want to know the specifications and details of API 5L regulation pertaining to Ultrasonic Testing of Pipe welds and Pipe body. What is the testing or defect criteria specified in the regulation for Automated or manual Ultrasonic testing. I know it mentions the N5 notch..Can anyone tell me what are the specifics of the N5 notch..

thanks

Himanshu RAnade

07:11 Jun-17-2002

A.Voge

NDT Inspector, Specially in the oilfield
Tuboscope Vetco(Deutschland)Gmbh,
Germany,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: API 5L Regulation : I want to know the specifications and details of API 5L regulation pertaining to Ultrasonic Testing of Pipe welds and Pipe body. What is the testing or defect criteria specified in the regulation for Automated or manual Ultrasonic testing. I know it mentions the N5 notch..Can anyone tell me what are the specifics of the N5 notch..
: thanks
: Himanshu RAnade
The best thing you get an API5L,from American Petrol Institut.Cost will app. 115-120US-Dollars,you can order through internet adress is http:// www.api.org.
There is in inner and an outer N5-notch dim. are width 0.04" max,depth 5%t(nom. wall)+/-15% with a min off 0.012" +/- 0.002" ,length for ultrasonic is 2" for max depth.
Normally the test pipe will supply by producer(pipe mill),should be sam grade and weight.For weld normally a 1/16" hole will be used.
With best regards Andreas Voge

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|