where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Christophe Mattei
Consultant
Exova AB, NDT Dpt., Sweden, Joined Jan 2001, 8

Christophe Mattei

Consultant
Exova AB, NDT Dpt.,
Sweden,
Joined Jan 2001
00:38 Jun-19-2002
Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection

Hello,

I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!

Chistophe Mattei
CSM Materialteknik AB

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:20 Jun-19-2002
Re: Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection
: I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!

First, I assume that the bubbles are clinging to the surface of the material rather than outgassing from it. Also, I assume that you are using de-aerated water (or water that has been standing for a day or so) to avoid outgassing from the water.

I have no specific experience with scanning explosive plastics, but as a general suggestion, we sometimes use a very weak soap solution to break up surface tension when bubbles are clinging to the surface of a textured specimen. That minimizes the tendency of bubbles to cling to a surface. Just wet the surface of your test material with the solution before you put it in the test tank. Note that the concentration should be weak -- typically a couple drops of liquid soap in a liter of water is sufficient to break the surfacetension.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
06:10 Jun-19-2002
Re: Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection
: : I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!
: First, I assume that the bubbles are clinging to the surface of the material rather than outgassing from it. Also, I assume that you are using de-aerated water (or water that has been standing for a day or so) to avoid outgassing from the water.
: I have no specific experience with scanning explosive plastics, but as a general suggestion, we sometimes use a very weak soap solution to break up surface tension when bubbles are clinging to the surface of a textured specimen. That minimizes the tendency of bubbles to cling to a surface. Just wet the surface of your test material with the solution before you put it in the test tank. Note that the concentration should be weak -- typically a couple drops of liquid soap in a liter of water is sufficient to break the surface tension.
: --Tom Nelligan
: Panametrics, Inc.

You may also want to consider the chemical effects of the liquid soap on the material you are testing, I'd hate to start a chain reaction considering the material you're on ;)

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Webinar: Improving Heat Exchanger Inspection Analysis

Zetec will host a webinar on automated analysis software for more effective heat exchanger inspectio
ns in power generation, oil & gas, pharmaceutical manufacturing & other applications. Register now. We will demonstrate how to reduce inefficiencies from legacy acquisition techniques so analysts can focus on identifying signals of interest, evaluating them & making confident decisions.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window