where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NDTSS - Non Destructive Testing Society of Singapore
Visit us at SINCE 2019
Technical Discussions
Christophe Mattei
Consultant
Exova AB, NDT Dpt., Sweden, Joined Jan 2001, 8

Christophe Mattei

Consultant
Exova AB, NDT Dpt.,
Sweden,
Joined Jan 2001
00:38 Jun-19-2002
Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection

Hello,

I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!

Chistophe Mattei
CSM Materialteknik AB

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
05:20 Jun-19-2002
Re: Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection
: I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!

First, I assume that the bubbles are clinging to the surface of the material rather than outgassing from it. Also, I assume that you are using de-aerated water (or water that has been standing for a day or so) to avoid outgassing from the water.

I have no specific experience with scanning explosive plastics, but as a general suggestion, we sometimes use a very weak soap solution to break up surface tension when bubbles are clinging to the surface of a textured specimen. That minimizes the tendency of bubbles to cling to a surface. Just wet the surface of your test material with the solution before you put it in the test tank. Note that the concentration should be weak -- typically a couple drops of liquid soap in a liter of water is sufficient to break the surfacetension.

--Tom Nelligan
Panametrics, Inc.

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
06:10 Jun-19-2002
Re: Wetting of polymer to avoid airbubbles indication with US inspection
: : I'm looking for info on ways to improve the wetting of polymer (more specifically explosiv plastic) in order to avoid false indications coming from air bubbles while scanning the part with ultrasound. Any reference or comment appreciated!
: First, I assume that the bubbles are clinging to the surface of the material rather than outgassing from it. Also, I assume that you are using de-aerated water (or water that has been standing for a day or so) to avoid outgassing from the water.
: I have no specific experience with scanning explosive plastics, but as a general suggestion, we sometimes use a very weak soap solution to break up surface tension when bubbles are clinging to the surface of a textured specimen. That minimizes the tendency of bubbles to cling to a surface. Just wet the surface of your test material with the solution before you put it in the test tank. Note that the concentration should be weak -- typically a couple drops of liquid soap in a liter of water is sufficient to break the surface tension.
: --Tom Nelligan
: Panametrics, Inc.

You may also want to consider the chemical effects of the liquid soap on the material you are testing, I'd hate to start a chain reaction considering the material you're on ;)

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window