where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
7075-T6 Aluminum
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:00 Jun-28-2002
Don Bourque
7075-T6 Aluminum

I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.

08:45 Jun-28-2002

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: 7075-T6 Aluminum Don:
Dale Ensminger in his textbook published velocity for this aluminium as:
Long.=6350 m/s and Shear = 3100 m/s
(no surface wave value published).

However, discussions with Fred Hotchkiss in Panametrics indicated that some aluminiums may have anisotropy to deal with...

Ed

: I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.

05:51 Jul-04-2002

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: 7075-T6 Aluminum Ed is correct, anisotropy in grains due to manufacturing (rolling, extrusion, etc.) can cause measureable differences in velocity in the different directions w.r.t. the processing. I don't know the numbers for Al 7075 off hand. The temper (the T6) is not really important.

Dave.

: Don:
: Dale Ensminger in his textbook published velocity for this aluminium as:
: Long.=6350 m/s and Shear = 3100 m/s
: (no surface wave value published).
: However, discussions with Fred Hotchkiss in Panametrics indicated that some aluminiums may have anisotropy to deal with...
: Ed
:
: : I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.
: .

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|