where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Don Bourque
Don Bourque
05:00 Jun-28-2002
7075-T6 Aluminum

I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
08:45 Jun-28-2002
Re: 7075-T6 Aluminum
Don:
Dale Ensminger in his textbook published velocity for this aluminium as:
Long.=6350 m/s and Shear = 3100 m/s
(no surface wave value published).

However, discussions with Fred Hotchkiss in Panametrics indicated that some aluminiums may have anisotropy to deal with...

Ed

: I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.

David Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
05:51 Jul-04-2002
Re: 7075-T6 Aluminum
Ed is correct, anisotropy in grains due to manufacturing (rolling, extrusion, etc.) can cause measureable differences in velocity in the different directions w.r.t. the processing. I don't know the numbers for Al 7075 off hand. The temper (the T6) is not really important.

Dave.

: Don:
: Dale Ensminger in his textbook published velocity for this aluminium as:
: Long.=6350 m/s and Shear = 3100 m/s
: (no surface wave value published).
: However, discussions with Fred Hotchkiss in Panametrics indicated that some aluminiums may have anisotropy to deal with...
: Ed
:
: : I'm looking for the speed of sound in 7075-T6 Aluminum. I would like to get Shear wave, Longitudinal wave and Surface wave velocities if possible.
: .

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window