where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Real time monitoring of aircraft structures
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:31 Jul-01-2002
Andreas Bugge
Real time monitoring of aircraft structures

I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.

Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.

Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.

Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?

Hope that somone can help me.

Thanks!
Andreas Bugge

02:02 Jul-01-2002
Jens Forker
Re: Real time monitoring of aircraft structures A very good starting point for literature search regarding acoustic emission (AE) is certainly the 'Journal of AE', published by Professor Kanji Ono, UCLA (ono@seas.ucla.edu).

Further AE is a very promising technique, as it allows one to monitor a quite large volume with only 1 sensor without the need for scanning. We helped a company doing health monitoring of a re-entry vehicle.

For more details on AE see our website and contact us directly.

Regards
Jens Forker

: I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.
: Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.
: Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission,eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?
: Hope that somone can help me.
: Thanks!
: Andreas Bugge

02:42 Jul-30-2002
Jeff Kott
Re: Real time monitoring of aircraft structures : I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.
: Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.
: Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?
Andreas,

Acoustic emmision is great for detecting real-time crack growth. AE will only detect the fact that it is actually cracking but will be unable to measure the length or depth of the cracks. Eddy current and Ultrasonic techniques are utilized for this. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

00:41 Jul-30-2002
Robert Paynter
Re: Real time monitoring of aircraft structures : I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?

A UK source: I suggest you look out for the "Structural Integrity and Damage Assessment Network". Which was an alliance of researchers in the UK. One of the meetings I attended was hosted by DERA at Farnborough and a focus was aircraft applications.
The Website (www.sidanet.org) - minutes of that meeting: http://www.shef.ac.uk/mecheng/sida/html/min_8.htm
maybe Gareth Pierce's Lamb Wave Technique is one to try.

Robert

07:35 Jul-30-2002

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Real time monitoring of aircraft structures You may find something useful in the aerospace journals or possibly look up references including NASA, SAAB, Airbus etc.

Acoustic Emission has been used for real time localised crack monitoring in flight on some of the high performance fighter aircraft.

The technique is used extensively during design certification, qualification on aircraft and components. AE has also been utilised extensively by some Military Operators for operational re-certification of old aircraft by pressurising the fuselage and monitoring for AE activity.

AE works particular well on detecting damage in carbon fibre composite materials now common in aircraft and space vehicle systems.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|