where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.
Technical Discussions
Andreas Bugge
Andreas Bugge
01:31 Jul-01-2002
Real time monitoring of aircraft structures

I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.

Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.

Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.

Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?

Hope that somone can help me.

Thanks!
Andreas Bugge

Jens Forker
Jens Forker
02:02 Jul-01-2002
Re: Real time monitoring of aircraft structures
A very good starting point for literature search regarding acoustic emission (AE) is certainly the 'Journal of AE', published by Professor Kanji Ono, UCLA (ono@seas.ucla.edu).

Further AE is a very promising technique, as it allows one to monitor a quite large volume with only 1 sensor without the need for scanning. We helped a company doing health monitoring of a re-entry vehicle.

For more details on AE see our website and contact us directly.

Regards
Jens Forker

: I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.
: Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.
: Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission,eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?
: Hope that somone can help me.
: Thanks!
: Andreas Bugge

Jeff Kott
Jeff Kott
02:42 Jul-30-2002
: I am a Norwegian student of Mechanical Engineering having a summer internship in Germany.
: Doing literature research on the topic; "in-service/real time crack growth monitoring of aircraft aluminum structures", I would like to know where to start.
: Do anyone know specific literature on the topic? I have searched the NDT.net database and found several articles, but none specifically addressing this problem.
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?
Andreas,

Acoustic emmision is great for detecting real-time crack growth. AE will only detect the fact that it is actually cracking but will be unable to measure the length or depth of the cracks. Eddy current and Ultrasonic techniques are utilized for this. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Robert Paynter
Robert Paynter
00:41 Jul-30-2002
: Another question is which methods that are suitable for this kind of monitoring. Is acoustic emission, eddy current, ultrasonic testing, or vibrothermography more promising?

A UK source: I suggest you look out for the "Structural Integrity and Damage Assessment Network". Which was an alliance of researchers in the UK. One of the meetings I attended was hosted by DERA at Farnborough and a focus was aircraft applications.
The Website (www.sidanet.org) - minutes of that meeting: http://www.shef.ac.uk/mecheng/sida/html/min_8.htm
maybe Gareth Pierce's Lamb Wave Technique is one to try.

Robert

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 278

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
07:35 Jul-30-2002
You may find something useful in the aerospace journals or possibly look up references including NASA, SAAB, Airbus etc.

Acoustic Emission has been used for real time localised crack monitoring in flight on some of the high performance fighter aircraft.

The technique is used extensively during design certification, qualification on aircraft and components. AE has also been utilised extensively by some Military Operators for operational re-certification of old aircraft by pressurising the fuselage and monitoring for AE activity.

AE works particular well on detecting damage in carbon fibre composite materials now common in aircraft and space vehicle systems.

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window