where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Compartion of NDT method with AE
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:11 Jul-23-2002
Alireza
Compartion of NDT method with AE

Whould you please send me a comparsion between acoustic emission and other ndt method.
How much we can save if we use this method?
where can i find more information?
thanks

07:38 Jul-23-2002

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Compartion of NDT method with AE Your question is a good one but covers an enormous scope as Acoustic Emission has a wide array of potential applications with varying degrees of success. You may also be approaching the matter slightly wrong in that traditional NDT (RT, UT, MT & PT) are not directly comparable with AE as they identify potentially harmful flaws in totally different ways. AE is more global and can be sensitive to samll indications but may be nore complex to apply.

AE potentially has more success as a condition evaluation tool i.e. identify the problem and then aid as a plan to follow up inspection.

This is important because it has significant impact on how you determine your cost effect comparison and the question of 'Can AE Save Me Money'.

You need to be a bit more specific about Industry Sector and potential application for definitive comparisons.

For example - Critical Weld Nodes On An offshore floating Platform Can Be Monitored With AE effectively. However capital investment is high. However UT may be slow, ineffective and not responsive to fast growing defects meaning regular drydocking of the platform. Over a 10 year life cycle the AE may work out lower cost.

Storage Tank planning using AE is another well documented cost effective application. Using AE in construction weld inspection, ineffective and not cost beneficial.

If you want to discuss this further I would be happy to do so.

07:47 Jul-29-2002

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Compartion of NDT method with AE There is some good papers in the NDT Net library of AE on tanks

Kindest regards

Mike Trinidad

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|