where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ut flaw detection samples
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:01 Jul-23-2002
Tomas Perez A.
ut flaw detection samples

Hi, everybody. I'm looking for,any samples where I can see the different kind of flaw,in butt and lap joints or welds, showing the echo signal of screen and a drawing. Where I can find that? Are there any sites where we can to get? Including drawings or software, past experience, best practice, etc.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

01:27 Jul-23-2002

George Pherigo

Other, Owner
PH Diversified, Inc., FlawTech Division,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ut flaw detection samples You can obtain information from "FlawTech.com"
They sell basic "kits" that contain about 10 flawed specimens for UT, RT, MT, PT and Visual. The specimens have a variety of flaw types. They are in stock for immediate delivery. You can also order custom specimens with flaws implanted to your specifications.

: Hi, everybody. I'm looking for,any samples where I can see the different kind of flaw,in butt and lap joints or welds, showing the echo signal of screen and a drawing. Where I can find that? Are there any sites where we can to get? Including drawings or software, past experience, best practice, etc.
: Can anyone help me?
: Thanks.

02:07 Jul-23-2002

Joe Buckley, Sonatest Plc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ut flaw detection samples Are you looking for information, or actual physical samples?

If the later I would recommend Sonaspection
http://www.sonaspection.co.uk

we've workied with them quite a lot

Rgds
Joe

: Hi, everybody. I'm looking for,any samples where I can see the different kind of flaw,in butt and lap joints or welds, showing the echo signal of screen and a drawing. Where I can find that? Are there any sites where we can to get? Including drawings or software, past experience, best practice, etc.

07:58 Jul-24-2002
Chris Gabriel
Re: ut flaw detection samples I have a copy of ProbeMaster. With this programme
I can draw defects in a weld, look at the signal
from any probe and then screen capture and print
out the result.

I got ProbeMaster from NDTCabin

http://www.ndtcabin.com

03:46 Jul-25-2002

Dave

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: ut flaw detection samples If you are looking for flaws in aircraft fuselage splice joints, we at the IAR NRC have a rather large collection of retired aircraft specimens that you may want to review. Please contact me for details. You may also want to contact people at Sandia Labs in USA, whom we have a friendly competition with in that regard. Most "calibration" samples for lap/butt splice joints have little relation to reality.

And there is little relationship between lap/butt joints in aircraft and welds.

Regards, Dave.

09:16 Aug-08-2002
Phillip Bisgrove
Re: ut flaw detection samples Sonaspection have been making flawed specimens for 20 years maybe we can help.

04:55 Aug-08-2002
John Turner
Re: ut flaw specimens and documentation : Mr. Perez if you have time you may want to try contacting FlawTech. We specialize in the manufacturing of custom flawed specimens for many different applications.
:
: : Hi, everybody. I'm looking for,any samples where I can see the different kind of flaw,in butt and lap joints or welds, showing the echo signal of screen and a drawing. Where I can find that? Are there any sites where we can to get? Including drawings or software, past experience, best practice, etc.
: : Can anyone help me?
: .
: : Thanks.
: .

01:28 Dec-10-2002

Terry Oldberg

Engineering, Mechanical Electrical Nuclear Software
Consultant,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: ut flaw detection samples I urge avoidance of the use of "sample" in this context, in view of the following situation:

In his book "The Enigma of Probability and Physics," the academic physicist Lazar Mayants goes to great lengths to draw a distinction between "abstract" and "concrete" objects. He claims that an understanding of this distinction is essential to an understanding of statistical physics.

According to Mayants, an abstract object is formed by abstracting (removing) oneself from the ways in which a set of "concrete" (real, physical) objects differ. "The typical human" is an example of an abstract object; it is abstracted from the set of humans. A flesh and blood human is an example of a concrete object. To convert an abstract to a concrete object is an error in reasoning that is sometimes termed "reification."

A consequence of reification can be for one to reach the false conclusion that a scientific theory can be tested on a single entity, such as "The typical human." The false conclusion follows from failureto deal with the problem of variability.

When the term is properly used, "sample" references a set of concrete objects that is a subset of a another set of concrete objects, the "sampling units." In studies of the reliability of flaw detection methods, the sampling units are not defined. Hence, use of the term "sample" is inappropriate.

Under restrictive circumstances, the subset of sampling units that underlie the Probability of Detection is defined as the set of flaws in a set of inspected structures. Under these circumstances, use of the term "sub-sample" warranted.

In 1994, I surveyed much of NDT's literature for its use of statistical concepts and terminology. One of my findings was that the sets of sampling units underlying claims about the reliability of defect detection tests were not identified and that this was consistent with the fact that these tests did not define the sets of sampling units. How, without sampling units, could these studies have gone forward?

In some and perhaps allcases, the researchers had reified abstract objects such as "inter-granular corrosion." Reification had eliminated the variability in nature and with it, the appearance of a need for them to define the sampling units underlying their claims about the reliability.

Use of "sample" in reference to studies of the reliability of flaw detection tests is wrong because it 1) is false and 2) misleads people into thinking that the sampling units underlying these tests are defined when they are not. Please don't perpetuate this error.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|