where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Snell's law or descartes law of sines?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing

06:44 Nov-09-1998

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Snell's law or descartes law of sines?

I came across an obscure reference on the internet the other day which I thought may be of interest as follows:

"The form we know of as Snell's law was actually published by Descartes as the law of sines. Snell did discover the relationship but articulated it in a different way. Today it is the form used by Descartes that is called Snell's law."

The above post was on a physics page has anyone heard of this before?

Regards

Michael Trinidad

07:24 Nov-09-1998

Paul Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Snell's law or descartes law of sines?

04:19 Nov-10-1998

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Snell's law or descartes law of sines? Paul

I am studying for some exams and I have been using the internet extensively for as much material as I can get. To better understand an NDT method one should have a greater knowledge of the physics applicable to the particular method so I run searches (for hours!) on subjects such as Snell,s law, Faraday's law, Lenz's law etc. I have noticed that many of these principles are altered or better phrased simplified for NDT text books. Some I find give a better understanding to the principle so I keep them for my notes.

In most text books Snell's law we use in ultrasonic testing originates from the angular relationships between beams of light at an interface.

Unfortunately I printed the particular page from a universities physics site, kept the text and nice diagram and lost the reference. I suppose it is not a new occurrence, the person or persons accredited with being the first to do something has generally been a result of which country had the larger population, media etc.

Kindest Regards

Michael Trinidad

05:22 Aug-29-1999
Nancy Snell
Re: Snell's law or descartes law of sines?
: Paul

: I am studying for some exams and I have been using the internet extensively for as much material as I can get. To better understand an NDT method one should have a greater knowledge of the physics applicable to the particular method so I run searches (for hours!) on subjects such as Snell,s law, Faraday's law, Lenz's law etc. I have noticed that many of these principles are altered or better phrased simplified for NDT text books. Some I find give a better understanding to the principle so I keep them for my notes.

: In most text books Snell's law we use in ultrasonic testing originates from the angular relationships between beams of light at an interface.

: Unfortunately I printed the particular page from a universities physics site, kept the text and nice diagram and lost the reference. I suppose it is not a new occurrence, the person or persons accredited with being the first to do something has generally been a result of which country had the larger population, media etc.

:Kindest Regards

: Michael Trinidad

I am interested in what is referred to as Snell's law. Could you explain the origin as one of my husbands relatives was chief magistrate and it may be related or I may be right off track. We are tracing the family history and the first canadian settleres were in newfoundland. I appreciate if you could send me some info. Thanks, Nancy

07:36 Aug-30-1999

Michael Trinidad

Consultant,
LMATS Pty Ltd ,
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Snell's law or descartes law of sines? : I am interested in what is referred to as Snell's law. Could you explain the origin as one of my husbands relatives was chief magistrate and it may be related or I may be right off track. We are tracing the family history and the first canadian settleres were in newfoundland. I appreciate if you could send me some info. Thanks, Nancy

Dear Nancy

I cannot find in my texts any history behind who was the originator of Snell's law. We as NDT technicians use Snell's law to calculate the refraction of ultrasonic waves passing through different materials.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/snell.htm may have more knowledge of the specific history

Kind regards

Michael Trinidad

01:43 Aug-31-1999

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Snell's law or descartes law of sines? Willibrord Snell (also known as Snellius in Latin language) was a Dutch
physicist, living from 1591 to 1626. He was discovering the refraction law
of optics (visible light).

Best regards

Uli Mletzko,
NDT group, State Materials Testing Institute (MPA),
University of Stuttgart, Germany

06:22 Sep-19-2000
dooj yang
proof of snell's law Greetings!
Could you please present to me the proof of Snell's law in relation to Fermat's principle?
Thanks.

Dooj Yang

08:23 Oct-29-2000
Alex
Re: proof of snell's law : Greetings!
: Could you please present to me the proof of Snell's law in relation to max/min problems.

: Thanks.

03:46 Nov-13-2002
Lindsey diMaio
Re: proof of snell's law : Greetings!
: Could you please present to me the proof of Snell's law in relation to Fermat's principle?
: Thanks.

: Dooj Yang

Hello.
Could you please Present to ME the proof of Snell's Law in relation to Fermat's principle?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|