where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

07:32 Aug-02-2002
steve louderback
Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking

Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?

07:44 Aug-02-2002

Joel Light

Consultant, Corrosion Prevention
Deepwater Corrosion Services Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking : Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?
If the boiler tubes are continuous, and have any external access, Guided Ultrasonics should do the trick.
If you'd like a bit more information, send me an email and I'll get it to you.

08:07 Aug-02-2002
DJ Kallhof
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking : Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?
Providing it is a full penetration joint I would recomend radiography. Two superimposed views at 90 dergee, or three at 60 degree seperations should give adequate coverage. These joints are typically elipsed at a three to one ratio but shallow fatigue cracking on the ID surface it could easily be missed by this technique.

05:31 Aug-03-2002

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking Hello, if the boiler tubes are accessible from ID, a simple visual inspection or IRIS (UT System) will be the right solution. I presume the tubes are ferromagnetic. If so, a multi-frequency eddy current with magnetic saturation, may also be considered.

: Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?

07:46 Aug-03-2002

Borja

Director
Innerspec Technologies,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking We manufacture an EMAT based system precisely for that purpose. The system can measure gage, corrosion fatigue and hydrogen damage all from the OD and for the whole tube. Babcock & Wilcox and Longview have been using it for years.

For more information www.innerspec.com

: Hello, if the boiler tubes are accessible from ID, a simple visual inspection or IRIS (UT System) will be the right solution. I presume the tubes are ferromagnetic. If so, a multi-frequency eddy current with magnetic saturation, may also be considered.
:
: : Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?
: .

06:29 Oct-01-2002
Paul Dunnwald
.The least expensive methods may be MPI and FPI. MPI can be done with a yoke, depending on the wall thickness, and internal access may not be needed.

07:52 Oct-01-2002

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking Steve,

You may want to consider the use of Laser Profiling or the LOTIS system. LOTIS was designed to inspect boiler tubing back in the mid 1980's for the US Navy and has inspected tubes in 100's of boilers since then. If you would like additional information on this process please contact me directly.

Regards,
Rich

-- ORIGIONAL MESSAGE --
: Can anybody recommend the best NDE method for detecting internal cracking in boiler tubes @ external welded connections?

08:43 Oct-04-2002

John Hansen

Director, - Eddy Current Technology
ETher NDE Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Boiler tube corrosion fatigue internal cracking If you can get to the inner face then the Hocking Eddy Current WeldScan probe may be suitable.

Link below to our data sheet.

Rgds

John Hansen

Hocking NDT

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|