where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Re: Sound velocity measurements
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FOMA Bohemia Ltd.
FOMA Bohemia is a traditional producer of industrial radiographic films INDUX and related accessories.

01:59 Feb-05-2001
yasseen
Re: Sound velocity measurements : information on sound measuring equipement
: : Accuracy of sound velocity measurements( <=0.1% ?)

: : During the revision of the ISO 2400 Standard for the IIW block Nr. 1 we had to discuss
: : the problem of the accuracy at sound velocity measurements achievable with standard laboratory equipments.
: : This debate showed us that the difficulties with this problem tend to be underestimated. An absolute accuracy
: : of 0.1 % can be realized only with a certain amount care during the measurements.
: : As a reference I would like to indicate a contribution presented at the ASTM New Methods Seminar
: : E0-7.98 from January 1998 from Chris Fortunko:
: : C.M. Fortunko, T.P. Lerch and M. C. Renken
: : Velocity Measurements in IIW-Type Blocks
: : Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
: : National Institute of Standards and Technology
: : 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
: : IIW Doc Nr. Vc-927/98/OE

: I have been working with Resonant Methods of NDT for the past few years.
: As you know, resonances depend upon the ultrasound velocity in materials.
: We are able to measure resonant frequencies with a repeatability in the order of 0.05%, and frequently much better (up to 0.005% measured some times).
: This will measure the transverse as well as the longitudinal velocities of the material.

: Contact me if you need more details.

07:44 Nov-09-1998

Hermann Wuestenberg

R & D
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Sound velocity measurements

Accuracy of sound velocity measurements( <=0.1% ?)

During the revision of the ISO 2400 Standard for the IIW block Nr. 1 we had to discuss
the problem of the accuracy at sound velocity measurements achievable with standard laboratory equipments.
This debate showed us that the difficulties with this problem tend to be underestimated. An absolute accuracy
of 0.1 % can be realized only with a certain amount care during the measurements.
As a reference I would like to indicate a contribution presented at the ASTM New Methods Seminar
E0-7.98 from January 1998 from Chris Fortunko:
C.M. Fortunko, T.P. Lerch and M. C. Renken
Velocity Measurements in IIW-Type Blocks
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology
325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
IIW Doc Nr. Vc-927/98/OE

06:46 Nov-28-1998
hendiy
Re: Sound velocity measurements : Accuracy of sound velocity measurements( <=0.1% ?)

: During the revision of the ISO 2400 Standard for the IIW block Nr. 1 we had to discuss
: the problem of the accuracy at sound velocity measurements achievable with standard laboratory equipments.
: This debate showed us that the difficulties with this problem tend to be underestimated. An absolute accuracy
: of 0.1 % can be realized only with a certain amount care during the measurements.
: As a reference I would like to indicate a contribution presented at the ASTM New Methods Seminar
: E0-7.98 from January 1998 from Chris Fortunko:
: C.M. Fortunko, T.P. Lerch and M. C. Renken
: Velocity Measurements in IIW-Type Blocks
: Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
: National Institute of Standards and Technology
: 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
: IIW Doc Nr. Vc-927/98/OE

09:35 Dec-04-1998

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Sound velocity measurements
: Accuracy of sound velocity measurements( <=0.1% ?)

: During the revision of the ISO 2400 Standard for the IIW block Nr. 1 we had to discuss
: the problem of the accuracy at sound velocity measurements achievable with standard laboratory equipments.
: This debate showed us that the difficulties with this problem tend to be underestimated. An absolute accuracy
: of 0.1 % can be realized only with a certain amount care during the measurements.
: As a reference I would like to indicate a contribution presented at the ASTM New Methods Seminar
: E0-7.98 from January 1998 from Chris Fortunko:
: C.M. Fortunko, T.P. Lerch and M. C. Renken
: Velocity Measurements in IIW-Type Blocks
: Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
: National Institute of Standards and Technology
: 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
: IIW Doc Nr. Vc-927/98/OE

I have been working with Resonant Methods of NDT for the past few years.
As you know, resonances depend upon the ultrasound velocity in materials.
We are able to measure resonant frequencies with a repeatability in the order of 0.05%, and frequently much better (up to 0.005% measured some times).
This will measure the transverse as well as the longitudinal velocities of the material.

Contact me if you need more details.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|