where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Zawada NDT
Suppliers of instruments to test steel wire ropes in-situ, using magnetic, non-destructive method.

00:12 Aug-27-2002
Lynn Kirkpatrick
NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates

I'm looking for an alternative (nondestructive) test method for the interface strength of porous metallic surfaces on metallic substrates. The materials are CP titanium on Ti-6Al-4V and cobalt-chrome on cobalt-chrome. The materials are typically metallurgically bonded together.
I would like to find a way to "estimate" bond strength, without having to sacrifice samples from each lot and pull them apart.

Any suggestions?

01:34 Aug-27-2002
Sean S. Franklin
Re: NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates NDT Automation’s Portable M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity (a basic principle of electronics) to quickly and accurately measure the thickness of conductive coatings sprayed on metal surfaces, as well as, determining the quality of metal parts. It can measure density variations in either compacted (non-heated) or sintered (heated) parts.

The quality and integrity of a P/M part depends on how tightly packed, or dense, the particles become. The more densely packed the particles are, the less resistance the electrical current encounters as it flows through the metal. The greater the density of particles, the lower the measured resistivity. The M00A Metal Inspector can also be used to find cracks and excessive porosity. Because cracks and pores represent air spaces in metal, they are nonconductive and increase resistivity readings.

For further information, please contact Sean Franklin @ 609-716-4088 or Sfranklin@NDTAutomation.com

: I'm looking for an alternative (nondestructive) test method for the interface strength of porous metallic surfaces on metallic substrates. The materials are CP titanium on Ti-6Al-4V and cobalt-chrome on cobalt-chrome. The materials are typically metallurgically bonded together.
: I would like to find a way to "estimate" bond strength, without having to sacrifice samples from each lot and pull them apart.
: Any suggestions?

02:52 Aug-27-2002
M. Kim Johnson
Re: NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates : NDT Automation’s Portable M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity (a basic principle of electronics) to quickly and accurately measure the thickness of conductive coatings sprayed on metal surfaces, as well as, determining the quality of metal parts. It can measure density variations in either compacted (non-heated) or sintered (heated) parts.
: The quality and integrity of a P/M part depends on how tightly packed, or dense, the particles become. The more densely packed the particles are, the less resistance the electrical current encounters as it flows through the metal. The greater the density of particles, the lower the measured resistivity. The M00A Metal Inspector can also be used to find cracks and excessive porosity. Because cracks and pores represent air spaces in metal, they are nonconductive and increase resistivity readings.
: For further information, please contact Sean Franklin @ 609-716-4088 or Sfranklin@NDTAutomation.com
: : I'm looking for an alternative (nondestructive) test method for the interface strength of porous metallic surfaces on metallic substrates. The materials are CP titanium on Ti-6Al-4V and cobalt-chrome on cobalt-chrome. The materials are typically metallurgically bonded together.
: : I would like to find a way to "estimate" bond strength, without having to sacrifice samples from each lot and pull them apart.
: .
: : Any suggestions?

Quasar Internatioinal has used resonant inspection to look at similar problems. Much depends on the geometry you are dealing with, e.g., thickness of coating, thichness of part, etc. We would be glad to the problem further.

M. Kim Johnson
505 247-9660
: .

06:25 Aug-28-2002

Randy Plis

Sales,
Metals Testing Company,
USA,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates : : : I'm looking for an alternative (nondestructive) test method for the interface strength of porous metallic surfaces on metallic substrates. The materials are CP titanium on Ti-6Al-4V and cobalt-chrome on cobalt-chrome. The materials are typically metallurgically bonded together.
: : : I would like to find a way to "estimate" bond strength, without having to sacrifice samples from each lot and pull them apart.
: : .
: : : Any suggestions?
I agree with Kim at Quasar, much depends on the geometry you are dealing with, e.g., thickness of coating, thichness of part, etc., but the bottom line is that NDT is a comparative tool.

A given method (UT, ET, etc) may be used to detect and characterize a condition of interest on carefully prepared samples. The samples need to simulate the range of bond variation conditions including both good and bad bonds, and points in between. The ability to estimate bond strength then requires that inspected samples be destructively tested to provide the correlation between NDT results and the desired strength values.

Such a correlation effort can be done by the bond manufacturing company, or portions outsourced to an NDT service company. Metals Testing Company is one such NDT service company to assist in the initial testing, and to later determine the appropriate equipment to purchase (if not already owned) as well as to assit in starting up the NDT process within your facility, if desired.

For more information about Metals Testing Company, please checkout our exhibit stand at NDT.net and our home page.

Thanks,
Randy Plis
Metals Testing Company
South Windsor, CT USA
+1-860-289-8225
http://www.mtc62.com

09:54 Aug-28-2002
F. Buijsen
Re: NDE of Porous Metallic Surfaces on Metallic Substrates : I'm looking for an alternative (nondestructive) test method for the interface strength of porous metallic surfaces on metallic substrates. The materials are CP titanium on Ti-6Al-4V and cobalt-chrome on cobalt-chrome. The materials are typically metallurgically bonded together.
: I would like to find a way to "estimate" bond strength, without having to sacrifice samples from each lot and pull them apart.
: Any suggestions?

You could try the Fokker Bondtester. This instrument has been used to measure quality of bonded structures.
You would have to test it with samples showing different levels of "bond quality". More info contact P. Troost at Servicing Europe NDT in The Neterhlands.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|