where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.

Technical Discussions
Fangjun Hong
Fangjun Hong
00:26 Sep-09-2002
How to detect the solid/liquid metal interface? (re-post)

I want to determine the postion of interface of liquid/solid alloy-158 metal. the attched is my experimental setup. I use Panamatrics 5900 pulser/reciver. I found out I canot detect the echo from the interface of liquid/solid metal, but the signal from the top of solid metal. because the maxium gain of 5900 pulser/receiver is 54db, so I am wondering whether the gain is not high enough to detect the singal. if I add a singal amplifier, could I detect the singal?
is the frequency of the transducer I used too high?
Could anyone give me suggestion on my experimental setup, for example, the selection of the transducer, puler/receiver, and etc.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
03:24 Sep-09-2002
Re: How to detect the solid/liquid metal interface? (re-post)
The Panametrics Model 5900PR that you are using is not really designed for applications requiring very high sensitivity. Rather, that instrument is optimized for use with very high frequency transducers (50 MHz and higher)in applications where thin material resolution, rather than penetration, is most important.

Because it is optimized for very high frequency transducers, it is going to under-drive the 20 MHz transducer that you are using. You could probably pick up at least a factor of 3 in sensitivity by using a higher energy excitation pulse, which can be obtained from other Panametrics pulsers such as the Model 5800PR or Model 5072PR (as well as some instruments from other manufacturers).

It also occurs to me that since your sound path is fairly long, you could perhaps use a lower frequency transducer (10 MHz, even 5 MHz), whose signal would be less subject to attenuation in the liquid metal. You might also consider a larger diameter transducer if the interface between liquid and solid metal is rough or uneven; a larger diameter may be a little less sensitive to geometrical effects.

--Tom Nelligan
GE Panametrics

Fangjun Hong
Fangjun Hong
07:30 Sep-10-2002
Re: How to detect the solid/liquid metal interface? (re-post)
: The Panametrics Model 5900PR that you are using is not really designed for applications requiring very high sensitivity. Rather, that instrument is optimized for use with very high frequency transducers (50 MHz and higher)in applications where thin material resolution, rather than penetration, is most important.
: Because it is optimized for very high frequency transducers, it is going to under-drive the 20 MHz transducer that you are using. You could probably pick up at least a factor of 3 in sensitivity by using a higher energy excitation pulse, which can be obtained from other Panametrics pulsers such as the Model 5800PR or Model 5072PR (as well as some instruments from other manufacturers).
: It also occurs to me that since your sound path is fairly long, you could perhaps use a lower frequency transducer (10 MHz, even 5 MHz), whose signal would be less subject to attenuation in the liquid metal. You might also consider a larger diameter transducer if the interface between liquid and solid metal is rough or uneven; a larger diameter may be a little less sensitive to geometrical effects.
: --Tom Nelligan
: GE Panametrics
Dear Mr. Tom Nelligan,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I am wondering whether V112-RM 10MHz, 6mm Finger Contact Transducer and V110-RM 5MHz, 6mm is ok for my application.
I also want to use external pulser (Function & Arbitrary Waveform Generator) to excite the transducers with burst tone pulse and use 5900 Receiver to detect the signal. is that OK?
What should I pay attention to when I use external pulser, beside the power limit of the transducer?

Product Spotlight

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window