where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Chris Bland
Chris Bland
00:10 Sep-13-2002
ASME calibration

I have carried out a great many ultrasonic examinations in accordance with ASME B & PV codes but have to confess that I have never calibrated for distance (or Sweep Range, as ASME calls it) using the methods recommended by ASME V, Article 4, Appendix B, since I was taught to use the IIW block to calibrate an ultrasonic instrument and only use the ASME basic block to establish sensitivity. It has been my experience that responses from basic blocks vary considerably, depending on the skill of the machine shop that fabricated them, and this alone can impact the accuracy and repeatability of inspections.

I would be interested to know if it is common practice by others to use the ASME calibration procedure and how practical it is to work with. Since the screen is calibrated in arbitrary units (e.g. 2 on the baseline represents 1/8 of the beam path)how are accurate measurements recorded on the report? Furthermore, how can one take adventage of the trig functions built into digital flaw detectors, that make it so simple to calculate surface distance, depth etc?

About the only advantage I can see of relying on the basic block is that it would make it possible to calibrate for distance using contoured wedges - something that is impossible to do on a flat block - or does anyone know any tricks for doing this?

ayman ahmed
ayman ahmed
07:56 Oct-30-2002
Re: ASME calibration

: I have carried out a great many ultrasonic examinations in accordance with ASME B & PV codes but have to confess that I have never calibrated for distance (or Sweep Range, as ASME calls it) using the methods recommended by ASME V, Article 4, Appendix B, since I was taught to use the IIW block to calibrate an ultrasonic instrument and only use the ASME basic block to establish sensitivity. It has been my experience that responses from basic blocks vary considerably, depending on the skill of the machine shop that fabricated them, and this alone can impact the accuracy and repeatability of inspections.
: I would be interested to know if it is common practice by others to use the ASME calibration procedure and how practical it is to work with. Since the screen is calibrated in arbitrary units (e.g. 2 on the baseline represents 1/8 of the beam path)how are accurate measurements recorded on the report? Furthermore, how can one take adventage of the trig functions built into digital flaw detectors, thatmake it so simple to calculate surface distance, depth etc?
: About the only advantage I can see of relying on the basic block is that it would make it possible to calibrate for distance using contoured wedges - something that is impossible to do on a flat block - or does anyone know any tricks for doing this?
.and ihave not standred thk.of the range example:
ihave 29mm.thk. as acalibration block, are that cover26mm.thk.?

Product Spotlight

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

Echomac® PA Tube Weld Tester

The new robotic Echomac® PA TW is an operator friendly test system for detecting weld zone defects
in tube and pipe caused by scarfing or welding processes. Electronic scanning ensures that the entire weld zone is covered without the need for mechanical movement or operator adjustment.
>

VeeScan AirCraft Wheel Inspection

The VEESCAN offers maximum flexibility, has a proven mechanical design and records of breakdown-fr
ee operation of over 365 days. Appealing to companies in the Aerospace industry, the VEESCAN is ideal for all wheel-testing environments. With a wide selection of probes, the VeeScan allows your wheel testing facility the flexibility to select the most compatible configurations with their workload.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window