where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Robert Oakley
Robert Oakley
09:39 Sep-16-2002
Probability of detection within a specific NDT method as a function of flaw size

I am a student engineer for a company called Miltec, and I am searching for information concerning the probability of detection by any and all methods of NDT as a function of flaw size. In addition I require figures on the probability of false detection by any and all NDT methods as a function of flaw size. Any help whatsoever as to references and sources for this material would be greatly appreciated.

Terry Oldberg
Engineering, Mechanical Electrical Nuclear Software
Consultant, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 42

Terry Oldberg

Engineering, Mechanical Electrical Nuclear Software
Consultant,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
08:10 Oct-11-2002
Re: Probability of detection within a specific NDT method as a function of flaw size
Your requirements cannot be met, for past and current methods of flaw detection violate the axiom of probability theory that is known as Unit Measure. It follows that at least one of the two probabilities that you desire is not defined. (See my paper at http://www.ndt.net/article/v04n05/oldberg/oldberg.htm plus my postings in this forum on the topic of "Unit Measure violations" for details.)

By the way, when you say that you require a probability of false call as a function of flaw size, you seem to be making a mistake, for the statistical population underlying a probability of false call would be comprised of non-flaws.

David Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
07:54 Oct-15-2002
Re: Probability of detection within a specific NDT method as a function of flaw size
>I am a student engineer for a company called Miltec, and I am searching for information concerning the probability of detection by any and all methods of NDT as a function of flaw size.

There are collections of POD curves publicly available from NTIAC (see http://www.ntiac.com), but these curves should only be used for qualitative purposes, unless you have exactly the same specimen, flaw type, and inspection equipment and procedure you can not use these quantitatively.

>In addition I require figures on the probability of false detection by any and all NDT methods as a function of flaw size. Any help whatsoever as to references and sources for this material would be greatly appreciated.

P(false call) is not related to flaw size, NTIAC document also shows P(false call) information. P(false call) is P(noise > threshold level). noise can be measured and threshold can be

Not everyone agrees with Oldberg or the conclusions in his paper.

Dave.

rodney fordham
Consultant
United Kingdom, Joined Feb 2002, 12

rodney fordham

Consultant
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2002
01:09 Oct-15-2002
: >I am a student engineer for a company called Miltec, and I am searching for information concerning the probability of detection by any and all methods of NDT as a function of flaw size.
: There are collections of POD curves publicly available from NTIAC (see http://www.ntiac.com), but these curves should only be used for qualitative purposes, unless you have exactly the same specimen, flaw type, and inspection equipment and procedure you can not use these quantitatively.
: >In addition I require figures on the probability of false detection by any and all NDT methods as a function of flaw size. Any help whatsoever as to references and sources for this material would be greatly appreciated.
: .
: P(false call) is not related to flaw size, NTIAC document also shows P(false call) information. P(false call) is P(noise > threshold level). noise can be measured and threshold can be
: Not everyone agrees with Oldberg or the conclusions in his paper.
: Dave.
but those who disagree owe it to all of us out here to explain in clear logical arguments exactly why they disagree.

In my experience, especially in the most important cases, Terry Oldberg is absolutely right.

Product Spotlight

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window