where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Eddy Current inspection of Derricks
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Tecnatom
Tecnatom has more than 50 years of experience providing services, equipment and systems devoted to NDT testing in several sectors and markets.

08:00 Sep-17-2002
Lew King
Eddy Current inspection of Derricks

I currently have a client who is wanting to inspect Derrick weldments using Eddy Currents.
Is there an API/ASME standard applicable to this type of work?

04:44 Sep-18-2002

Don

Engineering
Rolls Royce,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2002
Re: Eddy Current inspection of Derricks : I currently have a client who is wanting to inspect Derrick weldments using Eddy Currents.
: Is there an API/ASME standard applicable to this type of work?
The UK standard covering this is BS EN 1711:2000 Non-destructive examination of welds - Eddy current examination of welds by complex plane analysis.
We could carry out this work for you but most likely would not be competitive unless you are based in the UK
Don

05:05 Oct-04-2002

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
Re: Eddy Current inspection of Derricks : : I currently have a client who is wanting to inspect Derrick weldments using Eddy Currents.
: : Is there an API/ASME standard applicable to this type of work?

Most standards and codes are put together long after the technology has become available to market. Unfortunately this often leads to critical errors during the learning curve of users and plant owners who put trust in the technology prematurely. Similar to TOFD work being carried out before the UK and American standards were developed, extensive procedure development and trials were required before TOFD was allowed to substitute existing code endorsed methods of test. I believe this was a 10-15 year evolution from technology to code acceptance.

Eddy Current testing on most legally governed land based plant is allowable only as an addition and not a substituion to prescribed examinations. ( ie. to act as a 100% test to determine areas most suitable for prescribed 10% MT coverage )

I currently have serious reservations about the current endorsement of Eddy Current technology without the relevant engineering and legal support. If the equipment is outside of the legal realm than go for your life.

David Hermanutz

: .
: The UK standard covering this is BS EN 1711:2000 Non-destructive examination of welds - Eddy current examination of welds by complex plane analysis.
: We could carry out this work for you but most likely would not be competitive unless you are based in the UK
: Don

05:38 Oct-04-2002

T.Ausland

Consultant
Norway,
Joined Mar 2001
Re: Eddy Current inspection of Derricks : :
Hello!
In Norway Eddy Current has become very standard method for testing structural steel offshore. Derricks as well. In lack of useful acceptance criteria’s for structural and weld applications you have to establish a reasonably reference that you can be sure that the equipment and operator can handle. Depending on the equipment, probe, operator, geometry, coating make a reference block with detectable defect sizes under normal/or actual working conditions. If the client accept the length/depth of detectable defects then you have what you need. If you use Hocking weldprobe you can normaly go for 10/2 with no problems also 1mm deep depending on the conditions. Anyhow if you can find any proper acceptance criteria for structural steel/weld inspection!! Please inform me.

Best regards!
TA

I currently have a client who is wanting to inspect Derrick weldments using Eddy Currents.
: : Is there an API/ASME standard applicable to this type of work?
: .
: The UK standard covering this is BS EN 1711:2000 Non-destructive examination of welds - Eddy current examination of welds by complex plane analysis.
: We could carry out this work for you but most likely would not be competitive unless you are based in the UK
: Don

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|