where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Mobile-Friendly Implementation in Progress

AMDATA Products (WesDyne)
AMDATA is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems

Technical Discussions
Jhon Rengifo
Jhon Rengifo
07:36 Sep-20-2002
Flaw Detector Signal Processing

Receive a cordial greeting.
What kind of signal processing is usually carried out in the commercial flaw detectors?
I need to write a program that takes the RF ultrasound data, process it and display it like do the commercial flaw detectors (like Krautkramer USM22). Additionally I have to add gates to my programs and the possibility of executes automatic measurements.
I someone could give some hints on what I have to do or how to start, I would be really grateful.

For your help, thank very much

Lew King
Lew King
05:24 Sep-27-2002
Re: Flaw Detector Signal Processing
: Receive a cordial greeting.
: What kind of signal processing is usually carried out in the commercial flaw detectors?
: I need to write a program that takes the RF ultrasound data, process it and display it like do the commercial flaw detectors (like Krautkramer USM22). Additionally I have to add gates to my programs and the possibility of executes automatic measurements.
: I someone could give some hints on what I have to do or how to start, I would be really grateful.

Jhon
The USM22 is very limited to what report / documentation that can be printed.
You will require software such as UltraDoc for this purpose
regards
: For your help, thank very much

Philippe Rubbers
Engineering
SCM, South Africa, Joined Nov 1998, 21

Philippe Rubbers

Engineering
SCM,
South Africa,
Joined Nov 1998
00:04 Sep-27-2002
Re: Flaw Detector Signal Processing
Most UT systems have 3 options for display:
RF, rectified, and envelope.
The envelope is obtained by using in-phase/quadrature techniques which can be implemented on a processor by the use of a Hilbert transform.

Additional display processing is common in newer systems, where the X scale is labled according to your calibration, and the DAC curve is also recorded electronically and possibly displayed during the inspection.

The use of gates usually simply specifes start and end depths, and an amplitude (screen height) which is not related to the DAC curve (the gate has constant height). Recorded points are sometimes limited to a few of the peaks within the gate instead of the complete signal. A peak detect algorithm is therefore usually used (this is more efective on the envelope signal or else you will get multiple peaks per indication).

As you can see there is a whole host of issues that can be incorporated into the display/ recording of UT signals, and this is constantly evolving. These differences/varieties are what makes the choice of UT equipment all the more complex.

: : Receive a cordial greeting.
: : What kind of signal processing is usually carried out in the commercial flaw detectors?
: : I need to write a program that takes the RF ultrasound data, process it and display it like do the commercial flaw detectors (like Krautkramer USM22). Additionally I have to add gates to my programs and the possibility of executes automatic measurements.
: : I someone could give some hints on what I have to do or how to start, I would be really grateful.
:
: Jhon
: The USM22 is very limited to what report / documentation that can be printed.
: You will require software such as UltraDoc for this purpose
: regards
: .
: : For your help, thank very much
: .

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector
With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined
GE Inspection Technologies GmbH

Digital Radiography for Concrete Inspection
In the construction industry (buildings, bridges) there is a need for fast non- destructive means,
Mammon Technologies LLP
4 Showcases

The IRIS 9000 turns Heat Exchangers Inside Out
The IRIS 9000 is specifically engineered to provide the most accurate NDT inspection results for
Iris Inspection Services, Inc.

Exertus Dual 120
The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75
Gammatec NDT Supplies SOC Ltd
5 Showcases 5 Videos Product Video

More Showcases

Share...

We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window