where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Tony Martland
, Joined ,
03:09 Sep-24-2002
Calculation of particle velocity....please help !!!!

Hello

Can anybody help me ? I am trying to find out how to calculate the particle velocity of a longitudinal wave in a solid. I am applying the wave by means of a transducer, into mild steel, and I know the wavespeed in the mild steel (5900 m/s) but how do I calculate the actual particle velocity.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Paul A. Meyer
R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 47

Paul A. Meyer

R & D,
GE Inspection Technologies,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:15 Sep-24-2002
Re: Calculation of particle velocity....please help !!!!
Hi Tony,
The particle velocity is proportional to the ratio of the sound pressure to the acoustic impedance. You know the acoustic impedance but the sound pressure is a function of the transducer design, the driving pulse, and the coupling conditions, making it very difficult to determine. If you have access to a KLM transducer model, you can perhaps estimate the sound pressure in the steel.
Paul
: Hello
: Can anybody help me ? I am trying to find out how to calculate the particle velocity of a longitudinal wave in a solid. I am applying the wave by means of a transducer, into mild steel, and I know the wavespeed in the mild steel (5900 m/s) but how do I calculate the actual particle velocity.
: ANY help would be much appreciated.
: Thanks
: Tony

luis marques
refinery inspector
petrogal, Portugal, Joined Jul 2002, 5

luis marques

refinery inspector
petrogal,
Portugal,
Joined Jul 2002
06:50 Sep-24-2002
It depends on what kind of apparatus you are using. Simple digital ultrasonic equipment such as a Krautkramer DM4 will do what you want. With this equipment if you do not know the sound velocity in the medium you are scanning, you just need a calibration block of a known thickness and same material, you want to scan. In these calibration conditions the equipment will display automatically the sound velocity.

Regards

Luis

Joe Buckley, Sonatest Plc
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 517

Joe Buckley, Sonatest Plc

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
07:21 Sep-24-2002
This is one that could 'get extremely silly'
remember that:

1. The net value of the particle velocity is zero - They dont move, just oscillate about a fixed point (thats why its solid)

2. The bulk properties of the material (Youngs modulus etc) are not necessarily appropriate things to use when you get to the atomic level.

3. You cant necessarily assume a sine wave or anything like that, so building up a theoretical model will be quite complex -

May be worth asking exactly what is it you 'really' want to know?

Joe

: Hi Tony,
: The particle velocity is proportional to the ratio of the sound pressure to the acoustic impedance. You know the acoustic impedance but the sound pressure is a function of the transducer design, the driving pulse, and the coupling conditions, making it very difficult to determine. If you have access to a KLM transducer model, you can perhaps estimate the sound pressure in the steel.
: Paul
: : Hello
: .
: : Can anybody help me ? I am trying to find out how to calculate the particle velocity of a longitudinal wave in a solid. I am applying the wave by means of a transducer, into mild steel, and I know the wavespeed in the mild steel (5900 m/s) but how do I calculate the actual particle velocity.
: : ANY help would be much appreciated.
: : Thanks
: : Tony

Pierre Marty
R & D
Saab Aeronautic, Sweden, Joined Jul 2002, 5

Pierre Marty

R & D
Saab Aeronautic,
Sweden,
Joined Jul 2002
04:02 Sep-26-2002
HI Tony

A possible way is to use a dynamic Finite Element Model. It is not so difficult to estimate the profile of the sound pressure at the interface betrween the transducer and the sample, so that you can model the system with a good accuracy.
If you have any mean (laser probe ?9 to measure the displacement at the outer surface of the transducer and if you assume a good coupling between the transducer and the sample than the FE method will give you a fair estimation of the particle displacement in the bulk of the steel sample. The limits of such aproach are those of the FE method and of your own assumptions in term of displacement profile and magnitude at the surface of the transducer.

I beleive commercial FE programs such as ANSYS, PZFLEX can do that. IF you need contact me for more info on that subject. I did some similar models myself with another FE code.

Pierre

: Hello
: Can anybody help me ? I am trying to find out how to calculate the particle velocity of a longitudinal wave in a solid. I am applying the wave by means of a transducer, into mild steel, and I know the wavespeed in the mild steel (5900 m/s) but how do I calculate the actual particle velocity.
: ANY help would be much appreciated.
: Thanks
: Tony

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

EPOCH 6LT

The EPOCH 6LT flaw detector is optimized for one-handed operation in rope access and high-portab
ility applications. Lightweight with a grip-oriented weight distribution, the instrument fits securely in a user’s hand or can be strapped to their leg using the rope access accessory kit. The clear, bright screen makes A-scans readable in any light while the intuitive software enables fast navigation.
>

35 years of VOGT Ultrasonics!

This year we are celebrating a company anniversary! 35 years have passed since we first took our t
est device and swung the probe on behalf of safety. But our ultrasonic know-how goes back many years..
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s