where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
sound velocity of Tritium
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:15 Oct-01-2002
Jörg Neubert
sound velocity of Tritium

For a level measuring in a vessel I need the sound velocity of Tritium in advance of deploying such an equipment. Does anyone know about it? Kindest regards
Joerg Neubert

03:48 Oct-01-2002
CuriousMan
Re: sound velocity of Tritium Tritium?! Are you making a watch, or a nuclear bomb? :)

: For a level measuring in a vessel I need the sound velocity of Tritium in advance of deploying such an equipment. Does anyone know about it? Kindest regards
: Joerg Neubert

08:56 Oct-02-2002
Kris Smestad
Re: sound velocity of Tritium You can determine the velocity of any material if you have a known thickness of it.

: For a level measuring in a vessel I need the sound velocity of Tritium in advance of deploying such an equipment. Does anyone know about it? Kindest regards
: Joerg Neubert

02:22 Oct-02-2002

fredy ornath

Manager
Materials System,
Israel,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: sound velocity of Tritium Joerg,

Tritium is the heaviest isotope of hydrogen. You could expect its sound speed to be between those of hydrogen and helium. Do you have it in liquid or gas form?

05:12 Oct-16-2002
Joerg Neubert
Re: sound velocity of Tritium : Tritium?! Are you making a watch, or a nuclear bomb? :)
: : For a level measuring in a vessel I need the sound velocity of Tritium in advance of deploying such an equipment. Does anyone know about it? Kindest regards
: : Joerg Neubert
: .
.Hi Joe,
I was not very exact about my question because I am not that familiar with these
processes despite of working in the nuclear branch. I am really looking for the sound
velocity of D2O (Deuterium) which is transformed if the plant is working into Tritium.
No one so far can tell my the speed. D2O`s density is 10% higher than water.
So I hope they will not look for me as a terrorist...

Joerg

07:08 Oct-16-2002

Robert Paynter

R & D, Research Assistant
U of Oxford,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2001
Re: sound velocity of Tritium : : Tritium?! Are you making a watch, or a nuclear bomb? :)
: .
: : : For a level measuring in a vessel I need the sound velocity of Tritium in advance of deploying such an equipment. Does anyone know about it? Kindest regards
: : : Joerg Neubert
: : .
: .Hi Joe,
: I was not very exact about my question because I am not that familiar with these
: processes despite of working in the nuclear branch. I am really looking for the sound
: velocity of D2O (Deuterium) which is transformed if the plant is working into Tritium.
: No one so far can tell my the speed. D2O`s density is 10% higher than water.
: So I hope they will not look for me as a terrorist...
: Joerg

Velocity of sound is related to density and compressibility (or elastic modulus) as in most substances. As a first guess I would assume that the compressibility of D20 will be much the same as water; you say D20 is 10% more dense then velocity then the velocity will be 5% less:

c=1/sqrt(rho*beta), rho=density, beta=compressibility

I found a page on the web:
http://w3.ualg.pt/~jarod/geral/bibliote/phywe/1_5_12.pdf
which reminds me of the peculiar behaviour of water and, I assume, deuterium - it's very temperature dependent and over the range 20-80 celsius varies greater than 5%. My predictions based on this:
c(D20)=1400,1450,1475,1475 m/s at: 20,40,60,80 celsius
(there's a peak between 60 & 80)

There's a start - further accuracy will require you to "research"

Good luck,

Robert

00:37 Oct-19-2002
IceClampers
Re: sound velocity of Tritium Set up an immersion probe. Measure the distance of D20 between the probe and reflecting surface. Adjust your screen so you have at least two back reflections and set up the actual distance of probe to backwall on screen. Eg; if 4" then set up a 10" screen and position one backwall @ 4" and the second @ 8".

Now your sceeen display is set up for D20 velocity. If you measure the tickness of a sample of known velocity you can set a ratio btween the velocities and determine the D20 velocity from this.

Hope this helps.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|