where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
looking for a product
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Innovation Polymers
Custom Properties & Custom Shapes Innovation Polymers will work with your team to help develop specific required characteristics for the material you need.

00:04 Nov-19-1998
Mei Xiaoyu
looking for a product

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a member of a research group in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in University of South Florida. We want to develop a computerized system for the automatic evaluation of pavement. Among it, the crack depth of the pavement is a key factor. If you have such a kind of product for the crack depth detection, please let me know at your earliest convenience.
If you are not in charge of this field, please transfer this letter to the correlative department

Sincerely yours,

Mei Xiaoyu

00:14 Nov-19-1998

Chris Barnes

R & D
Dalhousie University,
Canada,
Joined May 2002
Re: looking for a product Dear Mei,

I think you might find the Impact Echo technique useful. It has been used successfully in numerous cases for determining the presence of cracks and in measuring those crack depths in reinforced concrete decks (with and with out asphalt overlays) as well as many other concrete structural elements such as columns, beams, etc. While asphalt concrete can be less homogenous and uniform, depending on the degree of compaction and the mix design, the impact echo technique may still be applicable. You should discuss the application of this technique to your problem with Dr. William Streett and/or Dr. Mary Sansalone of Cornel University. I know that the contacts for Dr. Sansalone can be found from the Cornell web page. Also see the home page of Impact Echo instruments at http://www.impact-echo.com/. The is a publication by ACI called innovations in Non-destructive Testing of Concrete which may provide some useful insight as well.
I hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,

Chris Barnes

: To Whom It May Concern:

:
: I am a member of a research group in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in University of South Florida. We want to develop a computerized system for the automatic evaluation of pavement. Among it, the crack depth of the pavement is a key factor. If you have such a kind of product for the crack depth detection, please let me know at your earliest convenience.
: If you are not in charge of this field, please transfer this letter to the correlative department

:
: Sincerely yours,

:
: Mei Xiaoyu

02:10 Nov-20-1998
Dr. Shaun Lawson
Re: looking for a product problem - the obvious way is to use some sort of TOF
laser measurement system on the back of a vehcile - however to work
out absolute depth you need to know things about the surrounding road
surface - is it textured , is it sloping etc - of course for a road/runway
these parameters can change almost continuously ...

I'd give some WWW links on pavement analysis in general though I
suspect the Group at Florida know about most pavement analysis
systems already ...

Shaun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Shaun Lawson (tel: 01483 259681)
Mechatronic Systems & Robotics Research Group
School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07:10 Dec-29-1998
don hall
Re: looking for a product
no known product for a 3-D process, however, you may consider
the exact reverse, past KNOWN TERRAIN HISTORY, up and into
surface - bottom up theory.

Use correlated 2-D measurements, bottom (), surface (), add
in the known and, or, suspected surface area.

Correlation will give you what is mechanically the best
solution to an extensive unknown factor.

happy new year!
drhall@iglou.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|