where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

00:55 Oct-09-2002
Brian Younce
Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface

Folks,

I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create new discontinuities?

I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this point and would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Brian Younce
NDT Level III
Hartzell Propeller Inc.

01:15 Oct-09-2002

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface Brian,

PH Tool Reference Standards manufactures EDM notch standards and test blocks for all NDT disciplines. While we are most familiar with the "micro-machining" of narrow notches and slots, we also perform both conventional (a.k.a. sinker) and wire EDM. It would be helpful to know which process was used to manufacture the aluminum parts you need to PT. Feel free to contact me directly at 888-553-9245 or philjr@phtool.com.

Phil Herman Jr.
PH Tool

: Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create new discontinuities?
: I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this pointand would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.
: Thanks in advance for your time,
: Brian Younce
: NDT Level III
: Hartzell Propeller Inc.

01:29 Oct-09-2002
Sergio Bilbao
Re: Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface
Brian,

It depends on how your EDM Process in made.
For example, the roughness you are achieving. Anyway, EDM machined surfaces have a surface quality quite good.
If you are going to make a sensitivity 2 FP Inspection, it is probably you will get an acceptable background.

The EDM's most important characteristic is that it modifies the grain size in the subsurface layer, known as "Recast Layer". But it is not important for the FPI.

The EDM does not close discontinuities. And generally, doesn't create news indications.

Be care of oxidations and burns.

Regards.

: Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create newdiscontinuities?
: I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this point and would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.
: Thanks in advance for your time,
: Brian Younce
: NDT Level III
: Hartzell Propeller Inc.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|