where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Brian Younce
Brian Younce
00:55 Oct-09-2002
Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface

Folks,

I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create new discontinuities?

I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this point and would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Brian Younce
NDT Level III
Hartzell Propeller Inc.

Phil Herman Jr.
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman Jr.

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
01:15 Oct-09-2002
Re: Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface
Brian,

PH Tool Reference Standards manufactures EDM notch standards and test blocks for all NDT disciplines. While we are most familiar with the "micro-machining" of narrow notches and slots, we also perform both conventional (a.k.a. sinker) and wire EDM. It would be helpful to know which process was used to manufacture the aluminum parts you need to PT. Feel free to contact me directly at 888-553-9245 or philjr@phtool.com.

Phil Herman Jr.
PH Tool

: Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create new discontinuities?
: I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this pointand would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.
: Thanks in advance for your time,
: Brian Younce
: NDT Level III
: Hartzell Propeller Inc.

Sergio Bilbao
Sergio Bilbao
01:29 Oct-09-2002
Re: Pre-penetrant Surface Prep of an EDM Cut Aluminum Surface

Brian,

It depends on how your EDM Process in made.
For example, the roughness you are achieving. Anyway, EDM machined surfaces have a surface quality quite good.
If you are going to make a sensitivity 2 FP Inspection, it is probably you will get an acceptable background.

The EDM's most important characteristic is that it modifies the grain size in the subsurface layer, known as "Recast Layer". But it is not important for the FPI.

The EDM does not close discontinuities. And generally, doesn't create news indications.

Be care of oxidations and burns.

Regards.

: Folks,
: I am wondering if anyone can reference me to information regarding surface preparation of an EDM cut aluminum surface that is to be penetrant inspected. My concerns are whether etching should be required or not, if so how aggressive of an etch, if not is there a different surface prep that is recommended. Does the EDM process have the tendency to smear metal, close pre-existing discontinuities, create newdiscontinuities?
: I am not familiar with the EDM process, therefore I have more questions than answers at this point and would appreciate any input from anyone who does have some experience.
: Thanks in advance for your time,
: Brian Younce
: NDT Level III
: Hartzell Propeller Inc.

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NozzleScan: Radial nozzle scanner with probe skew

NozzleScan is a versatile manual scanning solution developed for the inspection of nozzle welds in
both set-through and set-on configurations. Available in both two-axis and three-axis instrument configurations and adaptable to cover a wide range of 90-degree nozzle sizes, from 3" upwards, on ferritic and austenitic materials.The transducer skew axis can also be adjusted, encoded and locked.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s